Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Non-Boater Advice

I am considering the idea of being a non-boater in teh BFL mountain division next year. I dont see me owning a boat anytime in the near future, and this is a way for me to try to do something competitive. What is it like to be a non-boater? Are the boaters usually nice guys? Do they typically share knowledge to help you get better? How do you usually pack your tackle box? I dread the idea of getting stuck on a boat with a guy who fishes entirely differently than me....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Boater Advice

Me i won't risk my life with a angler i don't know.Last season there was 1 non boater killed.I went green and fish kayak tournaments now.YMO
    Terry Adolph
    bassinky

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part everyone is super nice. I fished a few tournaments as a nonboater before going as a boater. If you don't have a boat and are new to competive fishing, going as a nonboater is an excellent way to ease into the sport. I am planning on fishing the BFL Mountain Division as a boater. I am currently looking for a nonboater to pair up with for all tournaments. If you are interested, or know someone that is please let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael
    270-784-9051 or
    Michael.Bean@bgky.org

place BFL CoAngler in your subject line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    I dread the idea of getting stuck on a boat with a guy who fishes entirely differently than me....
    This happens more times than not. It's what separates a good co-angler from a mediocre one. A co-angler has to be very flexible and make the most out of what he's been given to work with.

Packing light but having enough different presentations/styles in your repituar are what will determine your success.

You can't think about the money, glory, or fame when fishing these events. All you need to focus on is having fun and enjoying your experience...the rest will fall into place. The ones that take it too seriously and get overly frustrated with whom they've drawn out are the ones who don't get the full experience. They let the negatives outshine the positives.

The best thing to have in these events is patience, and lots of it. You can't let your mind be clouded up with frustration and anger, it will hinder your processing of knowledge and hinder your fishing. Staying upbeat and positive will make the day much more enjoyable for both you and your boater, and you'll probably catch more fish along the way.

I've been doing the co-angler thing for far too long, mainly due to my lack of time off to pre-fish and the added expenses of a higher entry fee, fuel, and all the other additional monetary expenses that come with being a boater. Soon I'll make the transition, but for now it's fun enough as it is. Here's a few things that I've learned to maybe help you out on your first adventure:

1. 5 rod/reel max, with no more than 2 spinning reels (the handles on spinning reels tangle with everything, and don't lay well in co-angler rod holders)
    2. Keep tackle to a minimum - remember that color isn't quite as important as size or action so it doesn't make sense to have 10 1/2 oz. rattletraps in all different colors...just take a couple of your favorite colors and leave it at that - opt. for a variety of sizes and actions instead. You'll know the forecast, so if it's going to be cloudy, you can leave your sunny day colors at home.
    3. don't skimp on terminal tackle - get a Falcon terminal tackle box (FTO 501) and fill it full
    4. pack a lunch and some bottled water - make sure you take time to eat to keep your energy level up and drink water to stay hydrated
    5. eat a good breakfast, EARLY in the morning so you can make deposits before you get in the boat, if you know what I mean
    6. a good waterproof rain suit is worth it's weight in gold - don't go cheap on this one!
    7. offer gas money, enough to cover 10 gallons of gas at a minimum
    8. don't smoke or dip if you can avoid it, at least ask for permission if you must do it
    9. don't hinder your boater - be ready to move before he is - ask the boater to give you a heads-up before he gets ready to pull up the trolling motor
    10. treat the boat as if it were in a showroom with a "do not touch" sticker on it - most guys are anal about their boat, so be mindful of that - never step in the seats
    11. take your own lifejacket, that way you know it fits and will be comfortable
    12. don't be too serious
    13. smile
    14. don't be a know it all
    15. don't give out your boaters' spots to others - wars are started over this
    16. you and your boater are a team - work together and help each other
    17. stay open minded
    18. have fun - you're on the lake fishing!

I offer these tips, not as a know-it-all, but to help others out who might be intimidated by being a co-angler. It's very intimidating, but the more you know going in to it, the better your experience will be. With recent events, and all of the horror stories out there, co-angler numbers are starting to go down. It's not that bad at all if you have the right mindset for it. It's a fun and inexpensive way to get out on the water and to also meet new people with the same interests. I've had lots of fun being a co-angler and I hope many others get to have some of the same fun experiences I've had along the way. Co-anglers are a vital part of the BFL system, and the more that get into it, the better off the sport will be in the future for everyone involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post man. very informative. I think I may give this a shot next year. This year is out as I will have no Job starting May 1, but that gives me time to further evaluate my readiness to give this a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

That last post is dead on. Non- boaters are welcome to fish in American Bass Anglers, Central Kentucky d-33 fishes Rough, Nolin, Green and Barren lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    This happens more times than not. It's what separates a good co-angler from a mediocre one. A co-angler has to be very flexible and make the most out of what he's been given to work with.

Packing light but having enough different presentations/styles in your repituar are what will determine your success.

You can't think about the money, glory, or fame when fishing these events. All you need to focus on is having fun and enjoying your experience...the rest will fall into place. The ones that take it too seriously and get overly frustrated with whom they've drawn out are the ones who don't get the full experience. They let the negatives outshine the positives.

The best thing to have in these events is patience, and lots of it. You can't let your mind be clouded up with frustration and anger, it will hinder your processing of knowledge and hinder your fishing. Staying upbeat and positive will make the day much more enjoyable for both you and your boater, and you'll probably catch more fish along the way.

I've been doing the co-angler thing for far too long, mainly due to my lack of time off to pre-fish and the added expenses of a higher entry fee, fuel, and all the other additional monetary expenses that come with being a boater. Soon I'll make the transition, but for now it's fun enough as it is. Here's a few things that I've learned to maybe help you out on your first adventure:

1. 5 rod/reel max, with no more than 2 spinning reels (the handles on spinning reels tangle with everything, and don't lay well in co-angler rod holders)
    2. Keep tackle to a minimum - remember that color isn't quite as important as size or action so it doesn't make sense to have 10 1/2 oz. rattletraps in all different colors...just take a couple of your favorite colors and leave it at that - opt. for a variety of sizes and actions instead. You'll know the forecast, so if it's going to be cloudy, you can leave your sunny day colors at home.
    3. don't skimp on terminal tackle - get a Falcon terminal tackle box (FTO 501) and fill it full
    4. pack a lunch and some bottled water - make sure you take time to eat to keep your energy level up and drink water to stay hydrated
    5. eat a good breakfast, EARLY in the morning so you can make deposits before you get in the boat, if you know what I mean
    6. a good waterproof rain suit is worth it's weight in gold - don't go cheap on this one!
    7. offer gas money, enough to cover 10 gallons of gas at a minimum
    8. don't smoke or dip if you can avoid it, at least ask for permission if you must do it
    9. don't hinder your boater - be ready to move before he is - ask the boater to give you a heads-up before he gets ready to pull up the trolling motor
    10. treat the boat as if it were in a showroom with a "do not touch" sticker on it - most guys are anal about their boat, so be mindful of that - never step in the seats
    11. take your own lifejacket, that way you know it fits and will be comfortable
    12. don't be too serious
    13. smile
    14. don't be a know it all
    15. don't give out your boaters' spots to others - wars are started over this
    16. you and your boater are a team - work together and help each other
    17. stay open minded
    18. have fun - you're on the lake fishing!

I offer these tips, not as a know-it-all, but to help others out who might be intimidated by being a co-angler. It's very intimidating, but the more you know going in to it, the better your experience will be. With recent events, and all of the horror stories out there, co-angler numbers are starting to go down. It's not that bad at all if you have the right mindset for it. It's a fun and inexpensive way to get out on the water and to also meet new people with the same interests. I've had lots of fun being a co-angler and I hope many others get to have some of the same fun experiences I've had along the way. Co-anglers are a vital part of the BFL system, and the more that get into it, the better off the sport will be in the future for everyone involved.
    Couldn't have said it any better. Great post.