Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got a new vice today

The vice I had was a cheap one that came with a beginners fly tying kit. It passed away sometime recently, so today I went to BPS to buy a new one. They had one clamp on for $14.99 but I found a pedestal base with a wooden case and all new tools for $29.99 and got it instead. I think I will like it. You can tie anywhere and it will make a great travel vise.

I am going to give a try and will report back to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a new vice today

Very nice Tim...you will really enjoy having a pedestal base. I can't count how many times I haved used mine in emergency situations, haha. They become priceless when you run out of a hot fly, and there is no where around to clamp a regular vise to. Make sure to let us know how yours does!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Very nice Tim...you will really enjoy having a pedestal base. I can't count how many times I haved used mine in emergency situations, haha. They become priceless when you run out of a hot fly, and there is no where around to clamp a regular vise to. Make sure to let us know how yours does!

-Rich

Rich, I have been tying a little all weekend and I like this vice. I still want to get one with the full rotating head. It looks like it would be a huge help in wrapping hackle or while dubbing. I am a relative novice atr tying, I am pretty good on a few basic flies and that is about it. I have decided though that I am going to get more serious about tying. I am joining DCFF this Wednesday and am going to start attending their fly tying each month to help me improve.

BTW here is the vice and kit I bought: http://www.basspro.com/Vise/Tool-Kit.../50249/-922319
    Last edited by Tim_T; 02-14-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice kit. The kindly old gent from NKFF my brother took a tying class from many years ago swore by his. Same set up, Secent tools, good vice and that nifty box it all comes in. Beats the hell out of trying to hold a pair of vice grips in between your feet why you clutch at feathers blowing away from you hand wrapping with a sowing kit!