Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky and Barkley lake Question?

Dave this one may be for you.
    What creeks are the best spawning creeks?
    this is probley a stupid question since we are talking about Ky. and Barkley.
    but i dont make very many trips to either lake, nor in the spring for that matter.
    but maybe some help can be given.

Thanks to all who answer.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky and Barkley lake Question?

Any time from the first week in April through the first week in May any creek will do. Trust me. Your arms will be tired from catching so many fish. Once mid-May hits it seems to me they get a little tougher because they're transitioning to summer patterns (ledges). Now, once they get on those ledges in big numbers it gets good again. Of course, you won't have time to find any ledges. Recommend you come in the time frame I listed above and fish shallow. Don't be afraid to hit the banks and points where the creek channels swing in towards shore, either. That seems to be how I catch my bigger fish. Cranks, jigs and shakey heads (for those high pressure days).

Post Thanks / Like

It is tough to say because different guys have favorite bays, all the creeks are going to be spawning creeks for the most part - you just have to know what period of transition the fish are in. Studies show that on the average a spawing fish spawns for 3-5 days but it is commomly known that the biggest of these fish can spawn in as little as 1 day. The key isn't to know "when/where" they spawn as much as it is to know their migration routes during the optimum time frame. Rest assured I have seen fish on beds in just about every creek from Paris to the dam so really there is no "best" creeks - just ones I like to fish that may set up to my style of fishing better, or one I have spent more time on to find the traveling routes and detailed them out mentally.

My personal opinion as to when the best time is - is to watch Dave's report and when he basically tells us the fish are everywhere (pre-spawn, spawning and post spawn) and you can catch them on a mirad of different lures is the BEST time.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the later the better for higher water. But I like bushes and flowers in Barkley. We always go 1st wk of May but if I went earlier I would probably go more south. Follow the boards and reports to aid in following the fish. All creeks are not created equal but move til ya find fish, which may be a lot because the Northern region can get really crowded. But I have heard Ky lake south is also crowded now with the return of the weeds and pros being down there so much with B.A.S.S., KVD etc.
    WAtch conditions, follow and study for reports and Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Worm pole the buck willas!