Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Jerkbait

What is your favorite make and model jerkbait for cold clear water? Cold meaning 45 to 58 degrees. How should someone new to jerkbaits get his confidents up with it? Thanks for all that input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Jerkbait

My favorite jerkbait is whatever they are bitting. So that means you have to try several until they tell you what they want for that day. Match the conditions etc. All jerkbait are not created equal. They all have differences. I throw and like a lot of different baits. For example in super clear it's hard to beat a small x-rap in glass ghost, or silver. Little bit of color I like chrome and blue rogue jr or xcalibur sour grape. Then they're times th lucky craft pointers come into play. I like the 78's in aurora gold and nishiki. In the north I like in the spawn and post spawn I have been doing really well with xraps and wild shinner in green shad or in a white shad pattern name ? Super cold water folks say long bills, but stills learning that bait my self to be any help, sorry. Try spinning rod with braid/superline and 8lb floro leader. 2 yrs now with lots of success. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky Strike pointers, sevral sizes, match the hatch.
    Rapala Husky jerks
    Rapala X-Raps

I also buy some cheapy's that I fish alot as well. Fish neutral, natural colors in clear water. Chromes when you have some chop on top from the wind.
    Off colored water is ok but shy away from the jerkbait if it's too stained or muddy.

If you get off colored water fish clowns, chartruese, oranges, bright colors and fish it a little slower, clear water speed up. Floating models are Ok sometimes especially after the water as warmed some, but if it's cold use the suspending models and HANG ON.

Fish it and don't give up, fish where the fish are with bait and love that chop on top, don't shy away from those windy banks, wink.....

Post Thanks / Like

For me it's a Lucky Craft pointer 100 in aurora black or ghost minnow. As for getting confidence in a jerkbait, I would fish a well stocked pond or subdivision lake. Somewhere you can get a lot of bites so you get used to the feel and strikes of a jerkbait. Then take what you learned and move elsewhere with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by findingem View Post
    What is your favorite make and model jerkbait for cold clear water? Cold meaning 45 to 58 degrees. How should someone new to jerkbaits get his confidents up with it? Thanks for all that input.

At around 45 degrees, you need a good suspending jerkbait that can sit still in a spot for quite some time. Cast it out, jerk it hard to get it down to the printed depth, and then let it sit for 20 or 30 seconds. Give it two quick snaps, and then let it sit again for 30 seconds. Repeat this until it's back to the boat. When it's cold like that, the fish move very slowly. They'll hear it or sense the vibrations, and then slowly go look for it. That's the reason for the long pause, to give them time to find it. Plus, they may find it, and just stare at it trying to decide whether to hit it. If they stare at it long enough, they'll eventually hit it, especially when it starts to move away. It kind of reminds me of hopping a jig slowly.

At around 48-50 and up, it doesn't quite matter as much. Two snaps, and a 2 or 3 second pause is normally the correct cadence.

Learning the jerkbait bite is tough, but once you catch that first fish, it's all downhill from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Lucky Craft 78, or the 98 sp (slender pointer) in chartreuese shad or Aurora Black. and I suggest having patients and go for it - it can be some of the best fishing you have ever done. I rank it up with top water because it is so much earlier and gets you going. Especially if you are in an area that has smallies

8lb line is what I recommend others may differ, also baits should float nose down about a 35/45 degree angle (you can fill your sink and tune them there) reason for that is in cold water the bass are after gizzard shad and a gizzard shad when it is dying swims nose down.....
    Last edited by offdtop; 02-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

pointer 78 for numbers. the 100 is a better search bait but once I find them I will catch more on the 78. Color depends on conditions but natural to translucent would be the norm.

Favorite rod for the 78 is a loomis mbr 782.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Megabass Ito 110 in Pro Blue 2 & M Shad. They can't stand them when the water in the 40's.

Post Thanks / Like

Meant Lucky Craft I have no idea why I posted Lucky Strike, lol, that was a cigarette wasn't it..............

Post Thanks / Like

LC pointer 100 in american shad
    bassky

Post Thanks / Like

LC pointer 100 in Tennessee Shad.
    I still fish the rogue in clown with solder added to make it neutral in the water I'm fishing may have to add suspend dots or strips or you might have to add solder.
    I have not fished it but hearing great things about the Mega bass slow rising 110.
    Also not tried it much but have a couple and plan on giving them a good try is the X Rap

Post Thanks / Like

LC 85 - 100 in any shad color