Search Fishin.com

Thread: Upper Nolin

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Nolin

Tagged into some good white bass on river today. Couple good bucket mouths and one big fat carp. No walleye though, thought that carp might have been one at first, but thoughts are high when you first tag a carp then reality sets in. Took boat from Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upper Nolin

Way to go....what was working for the whites? Thanks!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Nice day!!! It sounds like after tmw it will be a few weeks before the Nolin River gets good again!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Way to go....what was working for the whites? Thanks!

-Rich
    Shad wrap #5 chartreuse in 5'+ waters. 1/8 oz. grey minnow rooster tail in the -3' waters on ultra lite lots of fun. Had to go around 9 miles up from Wax to find current. Whites were in the mud banks. Shad rap #5 silver pulled the bass and carp in as the bass just felt like a log. Water temps. Got up to 48 degrees. So much for it though as this rain is gonna drive the river up. Bank fisherman were catching lots of crappies as every one I talked to were catching fish. No caught any walleyes.

Post Thanks / Like

made a run to the cabin last night to get a few things and got a line wet for about 20 mins. caught one small 12" bass on a black and blue jig in about 4-5' of water. it was at night and it sounded like there were a lot of fish jumping at shad moving back out to deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Shad wrap #5 chartreuse in 5'+ waters. 1/8 oz. grey minnow rooster tail in the -3' waters on ultra lite lots of fun. Had to go around 9 miles up from Wax to find current. Whites were in the mud banks. Shad rap #5 silver pulled the bass and carp in as the bass just felt like a log. Water temps. Got up to 48 degrees. So much for it though as this rain is gonna drive the river up. Bank fisherman were catching lots of crappies as every one I talked to were catching fish. No caught any walleyes.
    Thanks....wish I could have gotten up there before all this rain hit...now it's going to look like the Colorado river up there for some time!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    Tagged into some good white bass on river today. Couple good bucket mouths and one big fat carp. No walleye though, thought that carp might have been one at first, but thoughts are high when you first tag a carp then reality sets in. Took boat from Wax.
    I'm wanting to hit Nolin for the first time in a couple weeks. Where is Wax? sorry, I know nothing about Nolin and this will be my first year hitting the white bass run. I'm planning on Nolin and Green. Thanks for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    I'm wanting to hit Nolin for the first time in a couple weeks. Where is Wax? sorry, I know nothing about Nolin and this will be my first year hitting the white bass run. I'm planning on Nolin and Green. Thanks for any advice
    Wax is at Wax. Last or first [depends which direction your headed] marina on Nolin Lake. River runs some 50 to 60 miles up stream from wax. Lot of water to cover looking for the run. I've caught the white bass run some 40 miles above wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you above Millerstown?? 40 miles up. Seems like it would be rapids or not passable with a boat...

I have heard about these runs, but never invested the time to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimDi View Post
    Were you above Millerstown?? 40 miles up. Seems like it would be rapids or not passable with a boat...

I have heard about these runs, but never invested the time to figure it out.
    Just below Sportsmans Paradise. With the river up as high as it is they may make up to White Mills.

Post Thanks / Like

We were up from bartons run in a red and black bomber the dam is at 7.5 mile marker wax is 28 and bacon creek is the 41 mile marker,Friday you could go to Hodgensville !!!It is way out at I-65
    Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    We were up from bartons run in a red and black bomber the dam is at 7.5 mile marker wax is 28 and bacon creek is the 41 mile marker,Friday you could go to Hodgensville !!!It is way out at I-65
    Rowdy
    Yeah river peaked out at around 15' yesterday and has dropped some 8' in the past 24 hrs.