Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

FF...WhiteBass...WhiteWoolyBugger?

Anyone every fished this? Would love to hear your stories??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FF...WhiteBass...WhiteWoolyBugger?

Boone, never tried a white Bugger or ffin' for whites, but plan to soon. Last night we tied some Chicago Flies at the DCFF fly tying. Simple to tie, resembles a Bugger but with out the hackle. The guy doing the demonstration likes them better than a Bugger. Might want to check them out. I tied a white one and a black one last night and plan to test them in the water ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Anyone every fished this? Would love to hear your stories??
    I caught some whities last summer in the jumps on a white crystal bugger....worked really well. I like the crystal buggers best because they have that flash in them that the whities love! Problem now is all the tributaries are raging...hopefully by next week they'll be fishable. Good luck Boone!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I bought a few of those white wooly buggers at Sportsman Warehouse a few years ago. I'm lousy with a fly rod, but managed to pull in a few whites over on the Salt River year before last. I also bought some Clouser minnows and had great success with them as well. I don't think it matters as long as it's white!

Looking forward to the run this year. I hope it happens........... last year was a big disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

timmbur22, what part of the Salt do you fish? I live near First Street Park in Shepherdsville and that stretch of the Salt has a lot of riffles and i have wondered if the white ran up through there.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: FF...WhiteBass...WhiteWoolyBugger?

I mostly wade fish the WMA above Taylorsville Lake, but also fish it from there all the way to the Bluegrass Parkway south of Lawrenceburg. Last year there wasn't enough water for a run. I still managed to catch 8 or 9 down near the Rock Quarry on T'ville Lake though. I've caught some nice Largemouth & Crappie fishing for whites as well. I mostly fish spinners & grubs, but every now and then it's fun to play em on a fly rod.............as a matter of fact.......it's a BLAST!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard about the big riffle about the lake. Might have to get up there some day and sling some flies at em. I have not been above the quarry on the water, would like to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered by accident one year that white bass will knock the heck out of white crappie jigs suspended under a bobber (especially when it's kind of windy).......yeah........float N' fly.......LOL. I have caught plenty of them on a Rebel crawfish as well, so maybe a crawfish pattern might work too (?) Then again, maybe it's just the wiggly action of the rebel craw they like. I dunno.

In my opinion, any fly tied with white marabou to imitate a shad will work over there on the Salt River.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up Timmbur

Post Thanks / Like

Update: the WMA area above the quarry on the Salt River/Taylorsville is severely flooded all the way back to near Glensboro. I don't think it will be fishable for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: FF...WhiteBass...WhiteWoolyBugger?

Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    Guys,

I bought a few of those white woolly buggers at Sportsman Warehouse a few years ago. I'm lousy with a fly rod, but managed to pull in a few whites over on the Salt River year before last. I also bought some Clouser minnows and had great success with them as well. I don't think it matters as long as it's white!

Looking forward to the run this year. I hope it happens........... last year was a big disappointment.
    Thanks Tim. so it seems WHITE is the color, but not so much in the method of presentation. Thanks much. Hoping the Whites will make a run on the Cumberland and give me a chance to investigate further...

As of March 17, no sign of Whites in the Wolf Creek Dam area....