Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio's Right to Work Law is next

Looks like Ohio State Senator Shannon Jones is following right in line with Wisconsins governor because today the Ohio Senate Labor Committee approved a bill that would limit public employees' collective bargaining rights and eliminate their right to strike.

The bill also eliminates binding arbitration of contract disputes by a neutral third party -- AND...it also establishes MERIT as the only basis for pay increases, NOT length of service.

Sounds to me like "change" is coming down the pike for all who like "change".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio's Right to Work Law is next

The american public is really starting to wake up....It's about time!!!
    I found this old article that touches on some of the things discussed here....decent read.

http://www.timesgazette.com/main.asp...ticleID=160382

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read the link yet Don, but it looks like some pretty decent reading on the subject. I also noticed at the end of the article there were postings by people who either agreed or disagreed with what the author had to say.

Union verses non-union is a very sensitive subject, the threads posted here on fishin.com in recent weeks are a testament to this, people on both sides of the fence are very passionate in their opinions on the subject...on one side (the people FOR unions), it's messing with their livelyhood, taking away from them, etc....on the other side (the people AGAINST unions), these folks are just tired of paying through the nose for goods and services just so AAA payscales, benefits and retirement packages can be provided for others when they themselves don't have the same AAA payscales, benefits and retirement packages.

Thanks for digging up that article.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    on the other side (the people AGAINST unions), these folks are just tired of paying through the nose for goods and services just so AAA payscales, benefits and retirement packages can be provided for others when they themselves don't have the same AAA payscales, benefits and retirement packages..
    I'm more against unions from the standpoint that I fear the very high wages and benefits they demand will hasten those jobs and industries out the door to other countries. We live in a global market with a lot of competition for jobs and businesses and the USA's pay scales are already much higher than a lot of the rest of the world. Now is not the time to be demanding more and more because we might find we all have less and less when the business all go elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I'm more against unions from the standpoint that I fear the very high wages and benefits they demand will hasten those jobs and industries out the door to other countries. We live in a global market with a lot of competition for jobs and businesses and the USA's pay scales are already much higher than a lot of the rest of the world. Now is not the time to be demanding more and more because we might find we all have less and less when the business all go elsewhere.
    I hear ya man! Heck...just look at any industry you want you'll find what you wrote about jobs going over seas is so true, dead on, right on! The auto industry is a perfect example of this...all we do here now is assemble an automobile. I have no idea how many genuine made in U.S.A. parts is on my 97 model Chevy but I'm pretty sure it's not 100% made in U.S.A. We don't build no where near as many parts here as we used to, for anything...household appliances, you name it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    I hear ya man! Heck...just look at any industry you want you'll find what you wrote about jobs going over seas is so true, dead on, right on! The auto industry is a perfect example of this...all we do here now is assemble an automobile. I have no idea how many genuine made in U.S.A. parts is on my 97 model Chevy but I'm pretty sure it's not 100% made in U.S.A. We don't build no where near as many parts here as we used to, for anything...household appliances, you name it.
    I think my 95' Chevy was assembled in Canada. I'll double check.