Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Farm pond tomorrow!

I am ready to get out and catch a dang fish, any fish on my fly rod. Going to throw some streamers tomorrow and a couple of local ponds.

Btw in order to show my new found fondness for fly tying, I am only taking flies that I have tied!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farm pond tomorrow!

I truly believe that if a man wants to truly go fishing and recieve the full benefit of what fishing is all about, then fly fishing is the way to go! I've done very little fly fishing, but the few times I have I could feel a sense of a certain calm that came over me.

I'm with you on the farm pond TODAY Tim, I'm all over it!...My gear (conventional spinning and casting gear) is in the truck....as soon as I leave work I'm hitting the pond!

Post Thanks / Like

put in a few hours this morning and the largemouth were starting to get active. Caught 7 or 8 (I usually quit counting after 3 because that means I caught enough to know it wasn't luck) on newly tied white, olive and black Clouser minnows tied on a 1/0 hook. Missed a couple of more and lost another one close to the bank. All of the fish were between the 12-15 inch range (which is typical for this pond) and very healthy looking.

It still excites me the first fish each year on the FR. Part skill and a whole lot of magic, I LOL'ed when I hooked the first fish like "haha this still works"!

Good day and might try to sneak in a couple of hours this afternoon before I have to teach Hunters Education tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

The spring fed pond I go to was high and muddy this evening...I managed one fat and hungy bass and that's all. I'm like you...I usually quit after catching one, two, maybe three....except for some times when I go and the decent keepers are hitting good, then I might stay a little longer just to play with them some more.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Tim, I don't wuit fishing, I just quit counting!

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome Tim. Going to be buying a new 8 weight rod very soon, like the looks and folks are saying about the Flex rods by Ross. Kinda pricey but with a lifetime warranty and that kind of performance think it might be worth it. Went out to Camp Ernst Lake in Boone county yesterday. Attempted two casts into a strong wind with an overloaded 5 weight and went back to the car and grabbed by spinning rod. Caught one tiny stocker trout on a panther martin, which is one more than I saw anyone else catch yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Colonel, I was kind of lucky. I got out early enough that the wind was not whipping around the way it did earlier in the day. Plus the pond I was fishing is down in a bowl and sheltered from the wind pretty good. Surrounded by woods and three sides and a steep dam.