Search Fishin.com

Thread: Tire question

Post Thanks / Like

Tire question

How often do you guys have to replace your tires? I have a duel axel trailer and the sidewalls wear out and start dry rotting. I have cracks in the sidewall on all four tires and they are only 2 seasons old. The tread is in excellent condition and I check pressure every trip before I leave.

How much should I worry about the cracking showing on the side walls? With only two years old and a duel axel trailer I was kinda figuring on pressing the issue this year and "when or if" one blows replace them all. I figure as long as I make sure the spare is good I should be ok.

I know alot of you guys have way more experience than me so please speak up and tell me if I'm making a mistake.

Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire question

What brand of tire do you have? I have never had mine dry rot in two seasons. But, having a trailer sit outside and not being used alot will cause them to dry rot faster. Have you ever put anything on the tires---like a tire dressing or cleaner of any type. I have used some spray type tire foam on my tires from time to time and I feel that helps alot especially since mine sit alot. The tires look better and the tire foam seems to help protect them from weather some.
    Cracks/dry rot can be very bad, especially for tandem trailers because the sidewalls get alot of pressure especially on turns.

I meant to tell you---I am a service manager at a tire store in Louisville and I am sure I can find you a deal on some tires. Give me a holler 502-266-0113 Tuesday-Saturday. I have a few different brands of trailer tires.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

Funny that you replied, I was just thinking I should come see you. I met you a couple weeks ago at the Ky bass club meeting. I may try to bring it to see you this weekend if I don't head to rough.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodyear Marathons My boat is in it's 14th season on the 3rd set of Goodyear marathons!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the kind of tire life I am looking for. What do they run if you don;t mind me asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    What brand of tire do you have? I have never had mine dry rot in two seasons. But, having a trailer sit outside and not being used alot will cause them to dry rot faster. Have you ever put anything on the tires---like a tire dressing or cleaner of any type. I have used some spray type tire foam on my tires from time to time and I feel that helps alot especially since mine sit alot. The tires look better and the tire foam seems to help protect them from weather some.
    Cracks/dry rot can be very bad, especially for tandem trailers because the sidewalls get alot of pressure especially on turns.

I meant to tell you---I am a service manager at a tire store in Louisville and I am sure I can find you a deal on some tires. Give me a holler 502-266-0113 Tuesday-Saturday. I have a few different brands of trailer tires.

Mark
    I sent you an email. See you Saturday.