Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 8 weight

Post Thanks / Like

New 8 weight

Been thinking about getting an eight weight for a while and finally got my hands on one today. Got the White River nine foot, eight weight rod/reel combo at Bass Pro for $49.99. I still need backing and am going to put a nine weight line on it. Probably do that on Monday. It is four pice and comes in a nice case. The case alone would probably set you back $20. You guys might want to check thesew out while they still have them. Once I get it strung up next week and cast it I will give an updated report.

Btw thanks for the heads up on these flyguy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New 8 weight

Saw those in the Spring Classic ad. The Traveler combo right? Reel looks decent, am curious out the quality of the blank. Please let me know how that goes. If you go back on the 11th I think, they'll be unloading Cortland WF floating fly line for around ten bucks. Judging from the msrp I suspect it will be the 333. Tim, please let me know how that rod handles, quite curious to know.

Post Thanks / Like

I will let you know Colonel. I am curious myself, but talking to Jack who works there about them a couple of weeks ago he said they are a good rod for the money. he is also the one that reccomended putting nine weight line on it to get it to load a little better. I can't really tell much about a rod without casting it, but from what it seems, it is a pretty stiff rod. Feels like good backbone, but I am not sure about the tip. Hopefully find out next week.

Post Thanks / Like

8 weight is for some serious FFin....big fish...what are you planning on using yours for...stripers, musky? Hope it works well for ya, sounds like a killer deal!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, I am going to sue it on the big lakes for bass. I mainly wanted one to take on our Dale Hollow trip this April so that I can catch a five pound bronzeback on the FR while standing right beside fisheater.

I also think it will visit the Cumberland River with me and I can use it to throw big streamers for some of those 10 pound browns that elude me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim....what's the largest trout that you have caught out of the river? Or...what is the largest trout that you or someone you were with caught from the river? Brown or Rainbow either one.

I know they get big down there...but the largest I've witnessed being caught went a little over 5 lb. It was a brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Put backing and line on today. Went with a 10 weight just to make sure I could get it to load and went out back and casted a little bit ago. I was really pleased, it cast very smooth and doesn't seem as stif in the tip as I might have thought. I believe I am going to be happy with it, especially considering the price. Now to get it on the water and see how things go. Of course, I have never lost a fish because of my equipment and I dang sure didn't blame the fish!

Chub, the biggest trout I have caught there was a 21 inch rainbow, which is not exceptional for the river. That being said, I only get down there 2 or 3 times a year but I intend for that to change this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought that exact same rod. I have never fly fished before but wanted to learn, and the guy at BPS recommended it to me. I put 8# WF line on it. I took it out to fisherman's park in Louisville for some practice. With my limited knowledge as a beginner fly fisherman, the rod handled well. They just stocked the lakes with trout- they were jumping everywhere. Unfortunately, I didn't catch anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    I bought that exact same rod. I have never fly fished before but wanted to learn, and the guy at BPS recommended it to me. I put 8# WF line on it. I took it out to fisherman's park in Louisville for some practice. With my limited knowledge as a beginner fly fisherman, the rod handled well. They just stocked the lakes with trout- they were jumping everywhere. Unfortunately, I didn't catch anything.

For the price you can't go wrong with this rod. The 8 weight might be a little stiff for the smaller fish, but will work good for throwing big flies. You might want to check out a 5 ot 6 weight later on bpl. They are better suited for stream fishing and you can still use them for bass and panfish on ponds and lakes. BPS has a good Hobbs Creek Combo ready to fish with line, backing and everything for a good price.

Welcome to the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

I went with the 8 mainly because I plan to use it to fish for bass at rough river. At this point though, I'm anxious to catch any fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious myself, but Jack, who works speak a couple of them a few weeks ago, he said that this is a good rod of money. He is also a proposal to nine lines to get it on the weight of the load better.

Post Thanks / Like

Were is Fishermans Park at? I live near Sellersburg andf want to get back into fly fishing. I work At BPS