Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Taylorsville flooded 15ft over pool. white bass still fishable?

We had very similar flooding 2 years ago. Is salt river fishable for white bass with such high water?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taylorsville flooded 15ft over pool. white bass still fishable?

Quote Originally Posted by MayneMinU View Post
    We had very similar flooding 2 years ago. Is salt river fishable for white bass with such high water?

Same thing 1 year ago too...

Post Thanks / Like

With only 2ft difference between winter pool and summer pool it happens more times then not.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think the white bass care how high the lake is ,but I'd look for them in the head waters as their moving up stream out of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished it on thursday and found the river about a half mile upstream from Palmer. Beautiful day...no fish. It's just a mess right now, and will continue to be for at least a week or so. Need warmer temps. Not discouraging you from trying, but it's still just a little early and a whole lot messed up. This flooding, imho, will give us a good run this year. If you're plum crazy like me and just can't resist trying ... Good luck and let us know what you see.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't there been instances, when the lake is flooded over the parking lots (Settler's ??) ... that Whites &/or Hybrids have been caught right out of those parking lots ?? I remember hearing something along those lines, from years past, but never got over there to personally investigate.
    Whites/Hybrids are gonna "run" when the water gets the right temp (the incoming water, that is) ... may be a bit early, yet ?? I'm just hoping that this flooding is all we'll see for Tville ... and not occur during the spawning periods, like has happened for the majority of the last DECADE !! Ain't no wonder the Crappie & Bass fishing isn't what it should be (IMHO)

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

We do seem to be getting the spring rains/high water much earlier this year. Usually it's Late March for the spring high water. Maybe will will get lucky and this rains will tapper off 1st of April.

Taylorsville flooded the first year is was built. They projected it would take about 18 months to fill the lake after the Dam was closed. That year we had significant flooding and the lake filled in about 6 weeks. Saved a lot of property along salt river from very severe flooding.

A freind of mine and I could not wait to get on the lake and check it out. We went to Settlers trace and the lake was flooded over the ramp and the road to the ramp was flooded so that it was just a dead end of water on the road.

This did not deter us! We just turned the truck around and used the road as a ramp. We rode down the road and into the lake. Of course there were no fish in there as the lake had only been filled for a week.

After a few hours on the lake the engine quit (we were poor then and the boat was about a 1951 model my freind had). We were the only ones on the lake and probably the first ones on the lake (other that ACE). We saw one of the old roads in the area that was still in place and rowed over to the road. We tied the boat to a guardrail on the road and hitch hiked back to the truck

Being tired and it being late we decided to just go home and come back and get the boat the next day. When we came back for the boat the next day we found the lake had dropped at least 10 feet or so and the boat was sitting in the middle of the road tied to that guardrail. We had a time picking that boat up and putting it on the trailer.

Laugh a lot about it now, but we were sure cussin that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Hasn't there been instances, when the lake is flooded over the parking lots (Settler's ??) ... that Whites &/or Hybrids have been caught right out of those parking lots ?? I remember hearing something along those lines, from years past, but never got over there to personally investigate.
    Whites/Hybrids are gonna "run" when the water gets the right temp (the incoming water, that is) ... may be a bit early, yet ?? I'm just hoping that this flooding is all we'll see for Tville ... and not occur during the spawning periods, like has happened for the majority of the last DECADE !! Ain't no wonder the Crappie & Bass fishing isn't what it should be (IMHO)

... pappy
    Pappy, you're right as rain concerning the Settler's trace parking lot. Chicken livers on the pavement. Who'd a thunk it. Looks like Wed. and Thurs. are going to keep conditions as they are for a bit. Agree...a bit early, but should be worth the wait this year.

Post Thanks / Like

kydonky thanks for the story. i live for thouse type for stories. I guess you guys are lucky it didnt rain and raise a few feet. could have came back to no boat.