Search Fishin.com

Thread: Ross Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Ross Rods

Like Tim I have been plotting on getting a new 8-wt rod all winter and the time to make a purchase is drawing near. Will not but a rod over 8' 6" (except maybe a certain rod that is 8' 9" ) but I would still like to retain a bit of sensitivity. Have been reading about these FlyStik rods Ross has put out and I am intrigued. Any of you fellas ever casted one or heard anything about them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ross Rods

Colonel, I have not casted one and know very little about them so I can't help you there. I do have a question though, why do you not like a rod longer than 6'6? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Sir, one thing Bob said that I observed some time ago was that I have just as much control casting a rod that is 8' 6" as a nine footer, so why cast the extra six inches all day. I don't really throw a lot of dry flies (not counting poppers and spiders/beetles) either. By the time I feel the need to do so my casting is usually good enough again that I will only mess up the first five or ten presentations . The FlyStik is 7' 11", which I'm not sure what to think of. I know **** sells Ross reels but I'm not sure if he stocks any of their rods and that's the only shop around here I could imagine may have one to try. The price on that Traveler is awfully tempting. Hope they still have one on the 11th.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have never casted a Ross before, so I'm not much help...but I understand the desire for the 8'6" rods. The only time I break into the 9' rods is when I'm stripping leaches on large lakes in my pontoon....other than that, I'm using my 8'6" 5wt for mid-larger rivers...and my 7' 3wt for smaller streams. Sure makes a difference when casting all day...love my little 7'! However, it is difficult to find an 8wt that is under 9' IMO.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed it is. BPS has 7' 11" rod they are calling "Heat." Bring the "Heat" they say. Tournament legal I think is the angle there. Not sure about the quality on that one though. At least with the Ross it is guaranteed for life.