Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain suit

Post Thanks / Like

Rain suit

I had a 3 year old Flw rain suit that wasn't keeping out the rain any more. After asking around as to what to do. I got a suggetion to use a product called Revivex. Evedently after awhile the water proofing wears off and the faberic just gets wet. So by applying this product it works just like it did when it was new. It's made especially for gortex and all I can say is for 10 bucks I got a new rain suit! I used the wash in kind not the spray on. One great product as far as I'm conserned...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rain suit

Where did you get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alycat View Post
    I had a 3 year old Flw rain suit that wasn't keeping out the rain any more. After asking around as to what to do. I got a suggetion to use a product called Revivex. Evedently after awhile the water proofing wears off and the faberic just gets wet. So by applying this product it works just like it did when it was new. It's made especially for gortex and all I can say is for 10 bucks I got a new rain suit! I used the wash in kind not the spray on. One great product as far as I'm conserned...
    Gortex is actually a membrane that is in between the the layers of fabric it is the same thing that teflon tape is made from. The problem is usually at the seems when they start to leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro carries a water proofer (redhead). I use it on my hiking boots, rain suits or pretty whatever I want to be water proofed. They sell it for 4.99 and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the first FLW rain suits and have had it going on ten years and I have had no problems with it yet but good to know that there is this product to treat it with, THANKS FOR THE INFO.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the product at a ski shop in kenwood. You can find it on line also. I used the washin type they also make a spray on type. I liked the fact that I could put it in the washer and drier and be done. It worked great. It could save you alot of money instead of buying a new suit. I got a bottle that does 7 applications and it was 10.00 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to look for that. I have an FLW rainsuit too that began leaking around seams after a few years of use. I have been using Atsko Silicone Water-Guard. I get it at Walmart for about $5.00 a can. One treatment usually lasts quite a while. I also use it on my boat cover and other outdoor gear that I don't want water getting through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dac244 View Post
    Gortex is actually a membrane that is in between the the layers of fabric it is the same thing that teflon tape is made from. The problem is usually at the seems when they start to leak.
    your right mostly.... Gortex is a brand name for "expanded PTFE (teflon), "Teflon" is the registered TM of Dupont. Basically is a fluffy version of teflon, but they can use it in a liquefied state and spray it onto fabrics and it can wear off depending on how it is used. Your higher end stuff will use a layer as where others use a spray on version of tiny microfibers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    your right mostly.... Gortex is a brand name for "expanded PTFE (teflon), "Teflon" is the registered TM of Dupont. Basically is a fluffy version of teflon, but they can use it in a liquefied state and spray it onto fabrics and it can wear off depending on how it is used. Your higher end stuff will use a layer as where others use a spray on version of tiny microfibers.
    I will take your word for it but I have never heard of gortex being applied in a spray form. I have only seen it used in a membrane form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alycat View Post
    The FLW "rainsuit" I got from Wal-Mart ($75 or so) didn't keep out the rain the first time I used it. Worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Gortex is just the type of fabric. Then there is a chemical applied to it for water proofing. and according to what I've been told it should be applied about once or twice a year. I also applied it to my camo suit that I have for hunting. I for one can say if you have a rain suit thats not keeping out the water just gettin wet. Use this product, for 10 bucks it's worth trying. Unless of course if you want to spend 200 bucks for a new suit.

Post Thanks / Like

Straight from the Gore-Tex site:

First introduced in 1978, GORE-TEX® fabric is created when we laminate our patented GORE-TEX® membrane to high-performance textiles, which are then used by authorized garment manufacturers to make outerwear, accessories, and footwear.