Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

YUM Money Minnows

New here to the forum, got a couple of questions about swimbaits/money minnows. We bought our boat last year, we are more used to fishing creeks, ponds and small rivers using mostly shad raps/small spinnerbaits/crawdad cranks, etc.. So far on the lakes I have had success with carolina rigs, jigs. Wanting to try money minnows/swimbaits, just curious when is the better time and how is the better way to rig them. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: YUM Money Minnows

Welcome to the Board. I am not a huge swimbait fisherman but I can tell you that they can be rigged several ways depending on the conditions. You can rig them weightless with just a hook. You can also rig them with a weighted hook. Your local tackle store will carry special swimbait hooks.

Generally the best time to throw them is in the summer. Say on KY/Barkley when fish are feeding on shad on the ledges. Or in the fall, when fish are schooling and feeding in the backs of creeks.

Personally I prefer a crankbait, but to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

Swimbaits are fantastic. Go big, 6" in early spring, no added weight for slow retrieve in shallows, standing timber, docks, etc. Use weighted swimbait hooks for deeper presentations, rock walls, points, suspended fish. Match the forage, as you would with crankbaits, and as prespawn draws nearer, water temp of say, 60-65 degrees, put em away. Post spawn and through summer months, I like a 3"-4" swimmer, always weighted, as big bass are now more eager to chase smaller, faster prey. You'll find that swimbaits are really great for covering water, I fish em on an 7-8' rod, medium action, just rear back and let em fly!

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the YUM $$$ Minnow quite a bit in Mexico last June. I caught bunches of fish on it up to 7 pounds. Of course, you come back to KY and try them and it's another story. I've fished the $$$ Minnow in KY but have not done very well. That said, I still believe it has it's time and place in KY (thanks for the early spring tip BTW...).

Buy some Owner BEAST weighted hooks (The 6/0 fits the 5" $$$ Minnow very well). I've experimented with the weighted hooks and the Owner BEAST is hard to beat. It fits the $$$ Minnow like a glove and has a bigger bite than most other weighted hooks.

The $$$ Minnow with the BEAST hook looks GREAT in the water. Maybe this will be my year to catch a giant on it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. I have never tried them but looking forward to trying them this year. I ran into a guy last summer at Laurel Lake and said he had good luck getting the brownies on the smaller $$$ minnows. Boat is back in the shop, but as soon as it is out, we are making our first trip to Dale. Loaded up with cranks, shad raps, c rigs, and $$$ minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Used the Berkley swim and loved it at Ky. lake.