Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Built a fly tying station

Well, I though I might as well go the rest of the way. Got a new rod/combo as a gift for Christmas, then last week I purchased a "starter fly tying kit". So, this Saturday, I went into the garage and built a tying station using some scrap wood I had on hand. Not quite "cabinet grade", but think it will get the job done. Placed it on an existing table which I painted to match and set it up in the back hallway.

Now, need to learn how to tie some flies. Purchased some materials for woolly buggers, so I'll start there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0272S640.jpg 
Views:	1628 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1942  
    Last edited by FlyLie; 03-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Built a fly tying station

Sweet Boone, I want one! I seriously want an area and desk just for fly tying and plan to have something by this summer. Right now my computer desk doubles as fly tying area.

That looks really good. Did you also build the thread storage area or did you buy that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Sweet Boone, I want one! I seriously want an area and desk just for fly tying and plan to have something by this summer. Right now my computer desk doubles as fly tying area.

That looks really good. Did you also build the thread storage area or did you buy that?
    Thanks,
    For the thread holders, I just drilled some holes into the 2x4 and inserted 1/4" dowel rod.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of more questions Boone.

How long is the desk and the board you added to the top, how is it fasted and what is its purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    A couple of more questions Boone.

How long is the desk and the board you added to the top, how is it fasted and what is its purpose?
    The base consist of a piece of surplus shelving material, 1" x 16" x 34". The 2 side arms are 1" x 5" x 12" boards. Edges of both the side arms and base were rounded off with a router. The back is made from a 34" length of 2 x 4 and drilled for 1/4" dowel rods (2" on centers ). The arms are also supported by 4-1/2" lengths of 2 x 4. The assembly is held together by wood screws (don't like to use nails).

My vise is the clamp on type, thus building/attaching everything to the base provides me with a sturdy foundation. The station simply sits on top of the table, which measures about 18" x 48". If, as in your case, you are using a pedestal base vise, you could certainly simplify the concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Boone...that is beautiful man...(tear) !

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Well, I though I might as well go the rest of the way. Got a new rod/combo as a gift for Christmas, then last week I purchased a "starter fly tying kit". So, this Saturday, I went into the garage and built a tying station using some scrap wood I had on hand. Not quite "cabinet grade", but think it will get the job done. Placed it on an existing table which I painted to match and set it up in the back hallway.

Now, need to learn how to tie some flies. Purchased some materials for woolly buggers, so I'll start there.
    That looks great, well done!