Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smoky Mountain Blackbird?

Can anyone steer me to information on how to tie Hugh Hartsell's Smoky Mountain Blackbird Softhackle? Hugh doesn's share much info , other than "black hares mask for dubbing and hackle from the wing and tail of starlings.

Saw info on this fly at http://smokymountainflyguide.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoky Mountain Blackbird?

Boone, I have searched for the recipe as well with no luck. You can try www.littleriveroutfitters.com and post this question. Mr. Hartsell post there often so you will probably have some luck there.

Btw, you going back to troutfest this year? Wife and I have already made our reservations, hopefully no car troubles or plumbing problems this year.

Post Thanks / Like

This fly appears to be tied in the tradition of the Yellerhamer and Crow fly. (two Smokey Mountain standards) These flies are tied by spliting the shaft of a flight feather from the wing of the bird. You use a razor blade to do this. The feather is then soaked in water to make it pliable. It is then palmered. I the case of the SM blackbird they are using starling feathers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
    This fly appears to be tied in the tradition of the Yellerhamer and Crow fly. (two Smokey Mountain standards) These flies are tied by spliting the shaft of a flight feather from the wing of the bird. You use a razor blade to do this. The feather is then soaked in water to make it pliable. It is then palmered. I the case of the SM blackbird they are using starling feathers.
    Thanks flyguy, you're righ on! Also, found additional details in a post by BugSlinger on www.southeastflyfishingforum.com Pasted post in below:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Here is some information I found in the archives (I think I had it saved before the site crashed):

KYratchethead posts:
    Here is the pattern for the original Smoky Mountain Blackbird as listed by L.J.DeCuir in his book Southeastern Flies.
    * * Hook : Mustad 9672, TMC 5263, or 3-4X Streamer hook, Size 4 - 10.
    * * Thread : Black.
    * * Weight : Lead wire.
    * * Tail : Barbules from the wing feather of a blackbird.
    * * Body : Peac-ock herl.
    * * Palmered Rib : Split wing feather of a blackbird.
    Hugh Hartsell has indeed adapted the pattern into a soft-hackle pattern by substituting a blackbird body feather for the hackle, if I'm not mistaken, and it is indeed a great looking fly, which can be seen and purchased on his web site. *Please correct this information if it is wrong, Dr. Hartsell.

Hugh Hartsell himself then follows up:
    Mr. K, the recipe that L.J. DeQuir gives for the Original *Smoky Mountain Blackbird pattern sounds right except for hook size. There is another fly called the Crow Fly that is tied the same way except that the wing feather from a crow is used and it makes a bigger fly which would call for the hook sizes that he gives for the Blackbird. The size hooks for the Original Blackbird would be size#16- #12.