Search Fishin.com

Thread: simpson lake

Post Thanks / Like

simpson lake

Does anyone have any info on this lake. I know it is located somewhere in Bardstown KY and a couple buddies have caught 5 LBers out of there. I think you might have to have a permit in order to fish the lake and I dont know where you can purchase one. Anyone got any info?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: simpson lake

Its Sympson Lake. Quite expensive for non-res permit but the main issue is you cant get a boat launched most of the time due to low water conditions. This is a water shed lake for the city of Bardstown. I bought a permit a couple of years back and was unable to get my boat in for pretty much the whole year!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the lake regular that is until the dry season hits and you cant get a big boat in without alot of hand work and pulling. It has good fish in it, can be pretty tough at times, I have caught 2 over 7 out of it but thats not the norm lately. It is expensive for out of county residents, permit runs according to motor size, mine would be $115 for 115 hp no boats over 150 hp at all and its not worth it ( I have my dad get mine) If you do go, I have heard that last year white jigs were the king on catching the good ones but I didnt go there last year but the old man did and they pulled a couple over 7 and 1 @ 8 all on white jigs or white worms??!! Pretty decent catfishing from what I seen and some guys do really good on crappie cause they have hidden brushpiles but there are only a few crappie guys on there. Hoped this helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc chopper View Post
    I fish the lake regular that is until the dry season hits and you cant get a big boat in without alot of hand work and pulling. It has good fish in it, can be pretty tough at times, I have caught 2 over 7 out of it but thats not the norm lately. It is expensive for out of county residents, permit runs according to motor size, mine would be $115 for 115 hp no boats over 150 hp at all and its not worth it ( I have my dad get mine) If you do go, I have heard that last year white jigs were the king on catching the good ones but I didnt go there last year but the old man did and they pulled a couple over 7 and 1 @ 8 all on white jigs or white worms??!! Pretty decent catfishing from what I seen and some guys do really good on crappie cause they have hidden brushpiles but there are only a few crappie guys on there. Hoped this helped.
    Hi, New here .were they flipping jigs and trick worms. I fished Simpson for the first time last year.I cought a few nice 4's,5's,6's,and 0ne 7. I payed my $70 again for this year.Went twice last week cought 8 each day.mostly 10'' ers.With a couple 3 pounders.would like to know about those jigs and worms.Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like to load the boat, waste at least 30 minutes of your morning to find that you get to the lake and it either has no water in it to launch or no where to park then it's worth the 150 bucks it cost to fish it. Go to taylorsville. It's free and always at summer pool with plenty of parking....LOL! Sorry could not resist but this is the truth.