Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

wolf creek hatchery

So they close it, big deal, but why cant the state take it over? Michigan wisconson and indiana have state trout rearing programs[not sure about indiana]If its a valuable fishery, let the fishermen support it. We already pay or payed for trout fishing that was done by the fed while the state had minimal interest in it.What the heck would be so hard for a 15 or 29 dollar stamp? I used to buy trout stamps for four states, and they weren't that cheap, because I liked and could afford to fish for those fish.When you figure in the cost of tackle, travel the stamp is a small amount of money to pay.Plus put the launch fee back, it wasn't that bad for locals, and the out of staters didn't complain that much. The days of free lunch are coming to a close, so we either pay to eat, or go on a diet.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wolf creek hatchery

I wouldn't exactly say the state had minimal interest, since it was their staff and theie trucks stocking most of the trout from one end of Kentucky to the other.

I for one would have no problem paying more for a trout stamp if that keeps the hatchery open, but still don't like the idea of closing something when it is not going to save money.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both of you....free lunch is coming to a close, why quit funding something when truth be known it isn't going to save any money.

If it comes down to it I'd be willing to pay a little extra for a trout stamp...but if that's what ends up happening I want one of those cool looking stamps they used to give you way back in the day. I wonder if anyone here still has any of those old school stamps?

As for launch fee's, they have it in place below wolf creek dam although I'm not sure who gets the money.

Post Thanks / Like

The launch fees at the dam are corp of engineers, yhey have launches at several lakes in the area, and in other states.You can buy a yearly pass and pay reduced costs or in some cases its paid for with the tag. I'm talking about the state wide launch tag on all Ky lakes, it used to be 10 bucks annual, and maybetwice that for out of state. This crap of cut just to cut is BS and politics.And this crap about shutting down the government, either sit or get off the pot,. So they shut it down, who suffers? Probably the poor on social security, and other social spending programs. Some office staff, air controllers will stay on, parks will close, military will stay on, post office might suffer.Either shut up or do it. If social programs are breaking this government, well maybe it ouight to just quit!