Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

floyds fork in louisville area

Has anyone ever had any luck fishing here? I'm wondering where some good locations are to fish the fork as well as what kind of fish I might expect to find there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: floyds fork in louisville area

Like every where else, its hit n miss. I have had luck putting in on shelbyville road and working south. I typically throw a beetle spin with a black jig. Becareful some of the holes are pretty deep with shallow ledges bordering them (if your wading). The water is pretty muddy now. I've been waiting for it to clear so the boys and I can gig it.

Post Thanks / Like

I drove over Floyds fork on Bells Mill Road just a few days ago and it as well as cedar creek flowing into it looked great... not muddy in the least. Never fished floyds, but have waded cedar creek and got some smallies out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I fished Floyd's Fork Creek was...well it was a long time ago. But my friend and I put in at Aikens Road and floated to Fisherville. We caught bass at different points along the way. There is one very low overhead dam that you can go over. We fished it every Saturday of February the time we were there.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally someone asking a question with my specialty. The "Fork" runs along my 70 acre farm between bardswtown and bells mill. This is where I got my interest in fishing as a kid. I have always done pretty good throwing rooster tails, small cranks, and small spinnerbaits. Typically I catch smallies and some LM with some red eyes every now and then. While the depth is typically between 3-4 ft there are holes over 6 ft so beware. Try to find the areas where the water is moving as this is where the smallies will be. You also have to be ready for them 5-10 Lb drum that will take you by surprise but are fun as hell to catch on 4 Lb line. And always fish upstream. Good Luck!!

In regards to the post about gigging. Do you gig while wading or from a canoe. I have an area by my house that always holds drum in about 3 ft of water. I have tried a couple of times but have never had success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    Finally someone asking a question with my specialty. The "Fork" runs along my 70 acre farm between bardswtown and bells mill. This is where I got my interest in fishing as a kid. I have always done pretty good throwing rooster tails, small cranks, and small spinnerbaits. Typically I catch smallies and some LM with some red eyes every now and then. While the depth is typically between 3-4 ft there are holes over 6 ft so beware. Try to find the areas where the water is moving as this is where the smallies will be. You also have to be ready for them 5-10 Lb drum that will take you by surprise but are fun as hell to catch on 4 Lb line. And always fish upstream. Good Luck!!

In regards to the post about gigging. Do you gig while wading or from a canoe. I have an area by my house that always holds drum in about 3 ft of water. I have tried a couple of times but have never had success.
    Thank you for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Its my favorite place to fish (hence my name). I fish it a lot from between Taylorsville Rd to Bardstown Rd, though I've also fished at Aiken and on upstream by the prison. I've caught just about everything there--mostly smallies, but also spots, white bass, red eyes, green sunfish (does anything else that small fight any harder?), sauger, drum, bluegill, crappie, and what I believe to have been a catfish, though I never saw it before it broke my line.

I like to use curly tail grubs (white usually) because they don't get hung up as much and they're cheap enough to cut off if they get hung too bad, but I've also had a lot of success with roostertails and rebel craws. I find the smallies where the bottoms are rocky (not a solid flat rock) and the rest in the pools of slack water.

I love to float it in a canoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    Its my favorite place to fish (hence my name). I fish it a lot from between Taylorsville Rd to Bardstown Rd, though I've also fished at Aiken and on upstream by the prison. I've caught just about everything there--mostly smallies, but also spots, white bass, red eyes, green sunfish (does anything else that small fight any harder?), sauger, drum, bluegill, crappie, and what I believe to have been a catfish, though I never saw it before it broke my line.

I like to use curly tail grubs (white usually) because they don't get hung up as much and they're cheap enough to cut off if they get hung too bad, but I've also had a lot of success with roostertails and rebel craws. I find the smallies where the bottoms are rocky (not a solid flat rock) and the rest in the pools of slack water.

I love to float it in a canoe.
    A friend and I have tried in 2 different locations - at the Miles Park canoe launch as well as off of Seatonville road, did not catch fish in either location. Thought about maybe trying with live bait? We did not so much as even see a fish in either location.

Post Thanks / Like

i've caught several largemouth at the Miles canoe access, and have seen 4+ lbers jumping out the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    i've caught several largemouth at the Miles canoe access, and have seen 4+ lbers jumping out the water.
    They are always bigger when they jump out of the water

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished it often; I like kayaking or canoeing it. I generally go between Mile Park Launch and Floyds Fork Launch. We usually catch fish all day when water clears up. We are not as successful when water is muddy. The lure I am most successful with is Yum Craw bugs. I think they come in two sizes; both sizes work; but you may want to try both sizes during the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. It was pretty muddy when I fished it, maybe that was the problem. I'd really like to be able to catch some small mouth close to home.