Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New limit on catfish at Taylorsville

i would have probably blown through them too. pick up a fishing pole

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    isnt using someone elses limit slightly illegal?
    As long as the kids are participating in the fishing ( and why else would you take them ), they are entitled to keep their legal limit as well. Dad + 2 kids would be 45 legal fish. Exception would be if there is a limit on the total # of fish in the boat.

Joe
    Last edited by Fisherjoe; 03-25-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: reread earlier post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i would have probably blown through them too. pick up a fishing pole
    if they are stretched across and you have no choice, that's fine with me. For this very reason I do not stretch across a bay or the main lake. I'll line a bank with them to forego this issue (honestly most juggers do line them off to one side...I'm sure there are exceptions). The one time I mentioned above they were all within 60 yards of the bank and the idiot had 500 yards behind me to drive his boat. But no...he planed by my boat not 25 yards away. I give full respect to others and expect the same in return. I know this guy did it on purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

If you what to know why the limit? Just ask yourself if you called in on the catfish that were tagged!! Thats why!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by procraft 192 super pro View Post
    If you what to know why the limit? Just ask yourself if you called in on the catfish that were tagged!! Thats why!!!!!
    I never caught one with a tag. Actually didn't know there were tagged fish in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    I never caught one with a tag. Actually didn't know there were tagged fish in there.
    Yes the signs were at settlers trace. And what the deal was they put a x amount of tagged cats in Taylorsville. Too see how long they lasted. I heard that the limit was coming for 2 years now. So it was in the works for a while. I jug fish to with my kids but I dont go hog wild and try to get 50+ fish. But if someone did not do it the cat fish would be like the shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by procraft 192 super pro View Post
    I jug fish to with my kids but I dont go hog wild and try to get 50+ fish. But if someone did not do it the cat fish would be like the shad.
    47 was my best day but 30-40 was the norm for me. Keep in mind this was only 4-5 times a year though...not every weekend. After tearing through those 47 that one time, my electric knife was too hot to hold....made me lol at the moment. I got pretty quick about cleaning them that one year...took me about an hour...hour and 10 minutes to filet 47. Get a nice sharp short blade to start the skin on each side, catfish skinners, and electric knife and you're good to go.

And if the catfish population was like the shad, you wouldn't hear me complaining. After I catch all I can eat for the summer and winter, I fish with poles. I'm getting my boat set up for drift fishing right now. Locate a hole with many fish showing and drift over it once or twice....that's the plan anyway. I'm sure I'll learn as I go. My boy is almost old enough to go noodling with me.....will try that next year.

BTW: I've never been to Settler's Trace....only Chowning. I've never been down the lake past Chowning but once and had a bad time in a cove so never went back. I was right in the middle of the cove...70-80 yards from shore, water 20 ft or so and got hung up on a submerged tree. Finally got the boat off it after 10-15 minutes or so. I was getting ready to jump in and pull it off when I got it loose finally. That incident left bad vibes with me for a long time. What if I had hit that tree at any speed? live and learn
    Last edited by KYCatfish; 03-26-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So you guys got me very interested now. It appears depth is random amongst you guys. For those using cut bait, do you guys usually catch your own or buy. Everytime im at that lake I come across huge schools so it seems like it would be fairly easy to catch your own. Might be picking up a new hobby this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

The first blue I ever caught out of Taylorsville was tagged. When I called it In I asked them how long it had been in there. We had a bigger one but the small one was tagged. They asked me the length of the fish and I told them and he said it had not been in there very long. So I basically took it out as soon as they put it in. That one conversation made me think about how many fish I take from the lake on each trip and really try not to keep any of the blues I catch on rod and reel or jug line because the tagged fish was not a dink and was perfect eating size. This limit is going to be a good thing for the Blues in this lake. I think the Channel catfish population is a little different but everyone needs to think that we are paying for the blues to be stocked and if it works we could have one hell of a fishing lake for big blues years from now. If it works and 10 years from now people are taking 70 pounders on rod and reel that is gonna be pretty awesome.

For the record I enjoy throwing a few jugs out also and think it's a blast but don't like to have more than 10 out at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    So you guys got me very interested now. It appears depth is random amongst you guys. For those using cut bait, do you guys usually catch your own or buy. Everytime im at that lake I come across huge schools so it seems like it would be fairly easy to catch your own. Might be picking up a new hobby this summer.
    catch your own with $8 net from Wal Mart and have free bait for years. I bring them home and freeze them to use on local ponds/rivers too. They don't work as well but still do ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    catch your own with $8 net from Wal Mart and have free bait for years. I bring them home and freeze them to use on local ponds/rivers too. They don't work as well but still do ok
    What walmart has an $8 net!!??? At that price I can afford to lose all the nets I get hung on the river.

Post Thanks / Like

that's what I paid about 5 yrs ago for mine