Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New limit on catfish at Taylorsville

Think most important thing many will forget is one over 25 in,just one.
    I recently caught but one it was 29 1/2 in,not on a jug and not at taylorsville but several of the 15 permitted could easily be over that.
    Youve been blessed here 47 or 48 is commercial fishing and they two are permitted but two over that,the penalty is loss of lic.in Tn.
    Last edited by lilmule; 03-27-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been on Taylorsville but had an encounter with a jug fisherman on Green Rive Lake last year.....I was running on pad after dark through a stretch of lake that is runnable from one bank to the other...I was running along not thinking anything about it, when next thing I know I'm sitting in the middle of what looked to be 100 jugs, when I get a huge spotlight shined right directly in my eyes and made me unable to see anything for a few seconds....Had no clue these jugs were there and had no clue the pontoon was sitting on the bank about 100 yards away "watching" his jugs....Had I saw the jugs I would have happily went around but I was in them before I knew what happened.....Would've been a great way to wrap a jug line around my prop and ruin it or the motor....I think if you're going to jug at night you should have some kind of lights on your jugs to keep this from happening.....To the guy that said he was going to board another guys boat because he ran through his jugs....That was probably the dumbest thing you could have done...If you ever do that again you might want to watch for flying objects...Many of the people I know carry a firearm on their boat

Post Thanks / Like

Getting in on the conversation late. I'll add my two cents. Wich doesn't mean anything. I don't think you should be allowed to take more than five fish. There's alot of meat off five five pound cats. That's not saying you don't catch anything larger. To me it sounds like you could deplete the fishery by taking as many fish as people are taking. Some body correct me if I'm wrong. It sounds like taylorsville is becoming a great blue cat fishery. I mainly bass fish but wanting to tangle with some big blues. I would just hate to see a promising blue cat fishery go the other way.

Post Thanks / Like

To ky catfish. Wonder if a bunch of people similar to your self only take 50 fish once a year. I don't no the breakdown of how many fish are in the lake, but that seems like over harvest to me. 5 good size fish to me would feed several in a fish fry, instead of feeding the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cooter 33 View Post
    To ky catfish. Wonder if a bunch of people similar to your self only take 50 fish once a year. I don't no the breakdown of how many fish are in the lake, but that seems like over harvest to me. 5 good size fish to me would feed several in a fish fry, instead of feeding the neighborhood.
    I feed a family of 4 and typically we fix a 1/2-1 gallon of filets at a time. Sure there's some left over but that's lunch the next day. I try to maximize the amount of fish I can take home vs the amount of gas I spend on a trip. Some people have told me to sell my boat if that's how I think. But I have fun and provide for my family at the same time and try to save money while doing so. Trust me, nothing goes to waste. Personally I see nothing wrong with my thinking...I'm just frugal.

If 5 fish was the limit, I simply wouldn't go.....cots me $40-$50 per trip roughly. I was considering this when the limit was 15 but with the kids in there with me, the limit will be fine.
    Last edited by KYCatfish; 03-27-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To poster #38, that's yet another reason why I refuse to jug at night. I've never done it and refuse to try it. I don't care how the fish bite is then as it's just too dangerous and complicated. And I agree all jugs should have those little lights on them at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    I feed a family of 4 and typically we fix a 1/2-1 gallon of filets at a time. Sure there's some left over but that's lunch the next day. I try to maximize the amount of fish I can take home vs the amount of gas I spend on a trip. Some people have told me to sell my boat if that's how I think. But I have fun and provide for my family at the same time and try to save money while doing so. Trust me, nothing goes to waste. Personally I see nothing wrong with my thinking...I'm just frugal.

If 5 fish was the limit, I simply wouldn't go.....cots me $40-$50 per trip roughly. I was considering this when the limit was 15 but with the kids in there with me, the limit will be fine.
    it costs me more than that, and i dont keep a single fish. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    it costs me more than that, and i dont keep a single fish. lol
    and you don't have to answer to my wife

if I come home with less than ten, I hear "Well, you could have gone to the store and bought them"...no joke.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the juggers, but when they have them spread out over a large area I think it's bull crap to say it nicely. For one fisherman to occupy such a large area in my opinion isn't right. Specially at over crowded taylorsville.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught six tagged fish in the last two years. The first one I caught I thought someone had foul hooked the fish with a chartreuse rooster tail. They are rather small and are located at the top of the fish near the tail end. The call in info is super small and the grime must be removed to have a chance to read it. I have actually called in a couple while fishing and then released them. These were small fish we were not going to keep anyway. The department takes the info, and will send you a catfish pin. I sense that they have kind of lost interest in the program.

Post Thanks / Like

I have jugged at night on Taylorsville but I use a reduced number of jugs and run them down the side of a bank not across the lake. I also stay with them with my lights on so other people can see me. Anyone that keeps a respectable distance from me will never get near my jugs. "Fishin is life" did the pontoon boat have their lights on to let you know they were there? I have no sympathy for any fisherman jugging or with a pole that I disturb at night when they have their lights off. I can't see them in the dark and they are the one's creating a dangerous situation. If I see someone with lights on at night I try to go as wide as possible around them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a decent KY Afield segment on jug fishing Taylorsville and the blue cat program. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4ikBSeAis