Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New limit on catfish at Taylorsville

I don't have a problem with the jugging but everyone does not have the experience to take care of 50 jugs. I know I don't. Then I guess I would just like for there to be tighter limits on the Blues because they are not reproducing in the lake. I am sure this was discussed but for some reason they lumped the channels and blues together for the limits. I have never understand the idea of putting any fish in without limits to take out except at paylakes where the customer is paying for the fish. All of us are paying for those blues to be stocked. Then again these guys making the regulations have proven they get it right from time to time.

Some of this conversation goes to the other end of problems at all our lakes which is courtesy. The bass fisherman has a problem with a guy taking a boat load of fish because he basically practices catch and release. He does not want to slow down to get through a maze of jugs to get to his fishing spot. The pleasure boaters sometimes don't even know they are in a no ski zone so we can't expect them to have enough boat experience to dodge our jugs. The jugger is setting out his jugs marked and legal and feels you should not run through them if you can help it. Many are old school bank pole, limb line, trot line and jugging veterans who have fed their families with this method during the worse of time (not me but just sayin).

So we can debate on it all we want but until the regulations change we all need to get along and enjoy our time on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

This was done because juggers were taking huge amounts of fish out of the lake. Like anything if not done in some type of moderation steps will have to be taken to moderate it. I have heard some guys bragging of going up there and bringing over 100 catfish home in one outing, why do people do this. because they can and to beat their chest I suppose. The department had to do something that lake is not that big to support that kind of harvest season after season.

Post Thanks / Like

When jugging, what constitutes a person's fish towards the creel limit? If you're in a boat with 2 other people and the GW watches one guy pull up 45 jugs with fish on them and keep the fish, would that guy be over the limit? Or would it go to the whole boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    When jugging, what constitutes a person's fish towards the creel limit? If you're in a boat with 2 other people and the GW watches one guy pull up 45 jugs with fish on them and keep the fish, would that guy be over the limit? Or would it go to the whole boat?
    Technically the law says each person is supposed to catch their own fish and keep them in a seperate container so that each person can identify the fish they caught to the game warden. Kentucky doesn't seem to enforce that rule, I've never heard of anyone being cited, but I know other states do. My brother is a game warden in Illinois and I'm pretty sure he has written tickets for things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

While "some " state laws state this please point out where Ky even hints of this, I'm unable to find it .

Post Thanks / Like

I spend a lot of blood sweat and tears traveling the country chasing after trophy cats and no matter how you put it commercial fishing needs to be regulated. Period. The guys feeding their neighborhood block are the tip of the iceburg. Once these guys realize the potential $ involved they evolve from jugs to nets and go several times a week. It's horrible on the Ohio River. OH followed TN and AL and next to wise up will be IN but until KY gets there chit together it won't matter.

I for one am thrilled to see this new limit no matter how rediculous it still is and hope it spreads like wildfire. If people harvested just about any other fish that many enjoy catching on rod and reel like this the outrage would be enormous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gocards40 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the jugging but everyone does not have the experience to take care of 50 jugs. I know I don't. Then I guess I would just like for there to be tighter limits on the Blues because they are not reproducing in the lake. I am sure this was discussed but for some reason they lumped the channels and blues together for the limits. I have never understand the idea of putting any fish in without limits to take out except at paylakes where the customer is paying for the fish. All of us are paying for those blues to be stocked. Then again these guys making the regulations have proven they get it right from time to time.

Some of this conversation goes to the other end of problems at all our lakes which is courtesy. The bass fisherman has a problem with a guy taking a boat load of fish because he basically practices catch and release. He does not want to slow down to get through a maze of jugs to get to his fishing spot. The pleasure boaters sometimes don't even know they are in a no ski zone so we can't expect them to have enough boat experience to dodge our jugs. The jugger is setting out his jugs marked and legal and feels you should not run through them if you can help it. Many are old school bank pole, limb line, trot line and jugging veterans who have fed their families with this method during the worse of time (not me but just sayin).

So we can debate on it all we want but until the regulations change we all need to get along and enjoy our time on the water.

How the hell am i supposed to dodge jugs that i can't see?....hell the only thing worse that could've happened would have been for him to shine his spotlight in my eyes before i set it down off pad and ran up on the bank or something.....I have no problem with juggers at night, none whatsoever, but you should either put your spotlight on your jugs when you see a boat coming or put lights on your jugs....don't sit 100 jugs right in the middle of where everybody runs, pull up on a bank, and sit there in the dark until somebody runs into them...

Post Thanks / Like

catfisherman should just learn how to use a pole like everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    catfisherman should just learn how to use a pole like everybody else.
    this is the second time you have said this and the response is the same ...." To each his own". just b/c you like to fish only with a pole doesn't make it wrong to fish any other way. I fish with poles, jugs, trot lines, and bank poles. Each is legal. To imply there is something wrong with it is an error on your part.

Catfising is different than game fish fishing. Typically it's a game of patience and the more hooks you set out, the greater the action. Game fisherman move spot to spot, structure to structure. I'm sure you know this but are refusing to acknowledge the difference in fishing techniques.

Also, active fishing is the perfect way to introduce kids to the sport. Why you frown upon anything other than what you do is very close-minded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    this is the second time you have said this and the response is the same ...." To each his own". just b/c you like to fish only with a pole doesn't make it wrong to fish any other way. I fish with poles, jugs, trot lines, and bank poles. Each is legal. To imply there is something wrong with it is an error on your part.

Catfising is different than game fish fishing. Typically it's a game of patience and the more hooks you set out, the greater the action. Game fisherman move spot to spot, structure to structure. I'm sure you know this but are refusing to acknowledge the difference in fishing techniques.

Also, active fishing is the perfect way to introduce kids to the sport. Why you frown upon anything other than what you do is very close-minded.
    if i dont run across a bunch of trot lines with my motor this year ill stop frowning on it. juggin and trot lines are both lazy ways to do it if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    if i dont run across a bunch of trot lines with my motor this year ill stop frowning on it. juggin and trot lines are both lazy ways to do it if you ask me.
    if that's your opinion, fine.....no issues....just no point in putting down others for what they enjoy.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with lazy fishing. That's how a lot of people escape from the stress of daily life......that's why so many people enjoy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfish View Post
    if that's your opinion, fine.....no issues....just no point in putting down others for what they enjoy.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong with lazy fishing. That's how a lot of people escape from the stress of daily life......that's why so many people enjoy it.
    Your **** right about that!