Search Fishin.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New limit on catfish at Taylorsville

yes my earlier post was in jest, I have about a dozen pool noodle jugs in the garage that I use occassionally when I am wanting some fillets for the table. This being said there is no fishery that is invulnerable to overfishing, an example of this would be the ocean. If everyone started pulling each fish from the gene pool for food we would never be able to keep up with demand and it would become a put-n-take fishery. Kentucky is in the middle of the road as far as growing seasons go, some years are better than others, which provides little room for error for determining creel/size limits . I don't think you can use the studies on bass and the resulting regs for the catfish population, for starters it is rare to see a bassfisherman take a trophy bass from the lake and eat it, whereas there usually is no qualms about catching catfish for tablefare as a matter of fact I would venture to say 75-80% of catfishing is just for that very purpose (just a guess). There just isn't the interest or the money allotted for catfish as there is for the more "popular" species, not whining about it just stating a fact. It would be nice to some size and creel guidelines put into place for the whole of KY including the OH R., nothing super restrictive just something that prohibits the decimation of a fish population. my $.01.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, some "think" Ky has poor fishing, glad those who have caught record or near record fish here didn't know that, smallmouth, walleye, musky, and stripers come to mind right off the bat, the large crappie in Ky and Barkley lakes , and claim "poor fishing" ..........LOL

Kentucky is not number one on some species, but there are MANY states who would love to have the variety and quantity, quality of fish we have, I am certain most members here know this to be true.

Fish were made to eat, that is why God made them out of meat (and SO tasty) if you wish to practice C&R that is your right, just as it's others rights not to do so...... IF everyone did the same exact things, that is where the issues would arise... to each his/her own I say!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    No, kentucky fishing really is not that good. Not compared to a state like Alabama. What is the difference? Alabama has a lot of lakes and rivers. The average size of an AL impoundment is probable the size of Lake Cumberland. In KY, Taylorsville is about average. In Alabama, you are always within 1 hour of world class fishing. Fishing is so much bigger in AL but because there is so much more water, world class fisheries are easily sustainable. Ky just doesn't have much to offer unless we start aggressively funding these resources....

Horrible comparison, no matter how much money you spend some places are going to be better than others based on a variety of factors.

As for improvements in fishing, lets look at what KDFWR has done in the first three months of this year: Added brook trout and triploid rainbows to the Cumberland tailwater, began a program that pays landowners to allow public access on many waters, removal of invasive curly-leaf pondweed that is causing problems for anglers and residents around Beaver Lake, is addressing boat motor restrictions at Lake Beshear, and added new lakes to the FIN's program. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

what time of day do you jug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baddog View Post
    what time of day do you jug
    I typically jug from morning to about 2:00 in the afternoon. I've done it twice in the late afternoon without much luck. I've also gotten there at daylight to get them waking up. For some reason, every time I've been on the lake, they start biting right at 9:00 am....not before....which seems kinda weird to me. Most fishing is best as the sun rises but not there....not for me anyway.