Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to advoid line twist when puting line on?

i have never had this problem maybe im just doing it right. i usually just have the girlfriend hold the spool with a pen and reel it in. go outside and cast it a couple of times- havent had a problem with it yet

Post Thanks / Like

The Tip about stretching the line from Offthetop is great advice!! I do this with both fluoro and mono and it works great! The cheap viscious line I bought now feels much softer. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

all this is way overrated to me. i just stick a screwdriver through it and stick it a hole in my workbench. sometimes on the bottom, sometimes on the top. never seemed to matter however i did it. never had an issue

Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for your suggestions. but it seems that i am not qualified to put line on a spinning rod. so i line up 3 spinning rods. first one took me about an hour! so duaynes post about revolutions is totally right. but i would olny be able to reel 20 or 30 feet at a time before their were 10 twist in the line. i kept turning the spool over but never could really find the right way to turn the spool to get the twist out. i would turn a spool over 20 or 30 times and still had twist. I was getting knots and everything. for thouse of you who say you never have problems getting line on your poles I can assure you that you are getting line twist its just not built up in your line it just evenly place through your line because you didnt check for it. before two years ago I would just throw the spool on the ground and reel it all up on a rod and i never really had problems but I know now that the line was twisted the hole time. so on the last two instead of checking for line twist i said screw it and reeled 150 yard on each pole. i didnd have problems with line twist because i didnt check for it. Now i guess i will use offtops method with the swivel that sounds awsome.

Post Thanks / Like

well, if its not twistuing up on me, im not worrying about it,lol

Post Thanks / Like

I did the unthinkable once, and actually read the instructions that came with a box of fishing line, and those instructions have a picture showing a baitcaster being spooled with the line coming off the top of the spool. Which makes sense, because the idea is you don't want to change the way the line is spooled, and if you have it coming off the bottom that's what you're doing. The instructions for a spinning reel say, "Lay the spool on the floor with the label up. Tie the line onto the reel. Wind the line onto the reel 10 cranks and check for line twist. If twisting occurs, turn the spool over and fill to 1/8" from spool rim. Do not overfill the spool!" The easiest way to check for line twist is to pick up the spool and hold it close to the reel. If it starts twisting, flip the spool and finish spooling it. I would NOT keep flipping the spool! I think that's a big mistake you're making there. The "number of revolutions" doesn't matter. You're never going to make the diameter of the bends in the line match from spool to reel, but that's a non-issue. It's going to be a tighter bend on the reel, but so what? What introduces line twist is when the direction of the bend doesn't match from spool to reel. I recently made the switch from live bait to using more artificials, and it wasn't until I started scrupulously following those instructions that I wasn't getting real frustrated with line twist. Another thing that really helps prevent line twist on spinning equipment is always manually closing the bail, never do it by cranking the reel. And another tip I just picked up from Woo Daves on The Bass Pros is if you make a cast and you see twists sitting there in your line, don't take them out by cranking in line, do it by picking up your rod and taking out as much slack as you can that way.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by RoadToad; 04-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Never really found a fool proof way. After I spool on line when I get on the water I just let it all out behind the boat and reel it back on... Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I change the line often on my spinning rods. This ensures that my line wont break during my tournaments, which i have alot of money and prep invested. I place the spool flat on one side. If the line starts to twist right away i flip it one time. Then i stretch my line out in the grass until my reel is empty. You can do two poles at a time to save some walking. The coils of line unscrew as you reel it back in while holding your finger a foot in front of your reel applying pressure with the rod tip down. Do this once you will have very little line twist. Do this twice you wont have any twist problems. I also cut my lures off and do this once before every outing.

Post Thanks / Like

Check your line rollers and make sure they spin easily. If they are, you would see the twists leave the line back to straight, then start twisting again. If your rollers aren't spinning easily, your reel may be causing double twist. I loosen the roller screw, clean and oil both sides and under the roller at every cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: how to advoid line twist when puting line on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee110 View Post
    So I got my rolls of 1000 yrd BPS fluorocarbon.

1. when putting on a bait caster should I have to line comming off the top of the spool or bottem?

2.when putting on my spinning rod shold the spool of line be lable side up or down? and/or should my line be comming off clockwise or counter clockwise?
    One thing for sure is set it in a pan of very warm water for a bit ( a few times ) and then will take memory out of it. Wind it same direction it comes off spool.