Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question how to advoid line twist when puting line on?

So I got my rolls of 1000 yrd BPS fluorocarbon.

1. when putting on a bait caster should I have to line comming off the top of the spool or bottem?

2.when putting on my spinning rod shold the spool of line be lable side up or down? and/or should my line be comming off clockwise or counter clockwise?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to advoid line twist when puting line on?

I bought one of those Plano line spooler boxes that holds like 5 spools of line. I will spray the spool with kvd line conditioner and spray some on a rag. Then I hold the line with the rag pretty tight and that works well for me. And I put the spool where it comes off counter clockwise. But before I got the Plano box I would spray a rag and use a phone book. Open the book in the middle close it on the line the spool will butt up against the book. It helps strait the line out before it goes on the spool. Hope this helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smuckey41 View Post
    I bought one of those Plano line spooler boxes that holds like 5 spools of line. I will spray the spool with kvd line conditioner and spray some on a rag. Then I hold the line with the rag pretty tight and that works well for me. And I put the spool where it comes off counter clockwise. But before I got the Plano box I would spray a rag and use a phone book. Open the book in the middle close it on the line the spool will butt up against the book. It helps strait the line out before it goes on the spool. Hope this helps you.
    well the plano only hold one size of spool right? I ordered the 1000 yrd offline. and i dont think it will fit in one of thouse boxes. (FOR SPINNING ROD) ---> on my line of spool label side up would make it where the line will only come off if you turn the line counter clock wise. and this should help prevent line twists right?

I was always told there is a certain way to put line on for bait caster and a certain way to put line on for a spinning rod. i know i have spent well over $300 in fishing line in last two years because of line twist. hell i just bought two spools from bps online that cost me 150 plus 20 to ship it.
    i just need to get my lining reel skills up a little better so i can stop waisting money.
    Last edited by Bumblebee110; 03-31-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

should go on the same direction as it comes off the spool, best thing to do is spool it up then tie to a swivel and attach the swivel to something (a nail in a tree works for me) and walk out about 50-60 yds and give it a good stretch - trust me you will be very happy you did it and when it seem you are getting too much memory do it again!!!! This is a thousand dollar tip..... trust me

Post Thanks / Like

when doing a spinning rod set the spool of line down on the floor and notice if it comes off the spool either clockwise or counterclockwise. now hold your reel above the spool upside down so that the bail is facing the spool on the floor. turn the reel handle and see which way the spool turns. this should match the way it is coming off the spool on the floor. if it doesnt match flip the spool of line over and you should be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

reel the line on either the spinning reel or the baitcaster anyway you like, when the reel is full cut the line from the spool and put the rod in something that will hold it stationary, hold the line and take off walking about a 100 yds or so, drop the line and walk back to the rod/reel , hold the line in front of the reel with a damp washcloth with medium pressure and reel all the line back onto the reel. now watch the twist fly out of the end of the line when you get to the last 5-6 feet, all of the twist will be out of your line now, it takes literally less than one minute to do. i do this on all my reels with new or used line every night before i fish.

if you are on the lake and excessive twist starts to show up - cut the lure off the end of the line and let out 60, 70, 80 yds of line out behind the boat as you idle for about 1-2 minutes, stop the boats forward momentum so there is no excessive pressure on the line as you reel it in, you can simply hold the line between your fingers when doing it this way due to the fact that the lne is already wet, when you get to the last 20 feet of line hold the rod high out of the water and once again the twist should be out of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Have the line coming of the spool counterclockwise for spinning reel.On the baitcaster have the line coming off the bottom.Also use a ballbearing swivel when using a bait that can turn over under water,I'll tie one on 4or 5 feet up the line when using a spoon or roostertale.Use lots of line conditioner and make sure your lineroller is working properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Bait caster lie the spool in a small box, plastic container, ect so it spins as you wind it on the reel. Not spool up or down. side ways... As for spinning reels. as you are putting on the line stop and look at it if you see twist just flip the spool over and crank on some more line. stop and flip it again. until you are done. Also the ball bearing tied to a tree is awesome for straigthening your line

Post Thanks / Like

The issues with laying the spool flat for spinning reels are the number of revolutions do not match from spool to reel. I flip the spool over and over again as I see twist build up in the line between my fingers and the spool. You'll get about four or five more turns with the spool facing up than down but you will eventually get twist if you don't flip it over regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops. didn't see your post about flipping the spool before I posted. Great advice..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by offdtop View Post
    should go on the same direction as it comes off the spool, best thing to do is spool it up then tie to a swivel and attach the swivel to something (a nail in a tree works for me) and walk out about 50-60 yds and give it a good stretch - trust me you will be very happy you did it and when it seem you are getting too much memory do it again!!!! This is a thousand dollar tip..... trust me
    This works great! Have you ever noticed that it often takes flouro a while to soften up? This way it starts off just like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    This works great! Have you ever noticed that it often takes flouro a while to soften up? This way it starts off just like that.
    Yeppy

I used to change my fluro out ALLOT because of memory now I get two or three more trips
    out of it, when you reel it back up it is as limp as a noodle and casts a mile. I just don't trust nicks in the line. I have went against my better judgment and I am trying Vicious "Pro Elite", I tried the regular and seriously I hated it - but I use the stretch method now and it seemed to work, and with Tackle warehouse having it $28 for 800 yds. I had to try it once. Dave still gives me trouble over using it ahhh phooey