Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky allegations..... No April Fools Joke

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/02/1...assistant.html

Allegations of improper phone calls were made by Bilal Batley to recruits while an assistant at Memphis and UK under Calipari. Batley was let go in July 2009, while working with a player not within the appproved practise time. Demarcus Cousins told Fox Sports that he received such calls from Batley while being recruited to attend Memphis. Maybe something maybe nothing but with Calipari's less than stellar record, you can bet it will be investigated to the fullest.

I for one wish College Sports would get back to good old fashion college sports at its finest. But we will NEVER see that for way too much money in it for the schools, coaches and players. Coaches like Tressell, Pearl, Kiffin and Calhoun that break the rules need to be punished to the fullest to set examples. I don't think this will stop all the underhanded recruiting efforts but where there is smoke there is fire. Too many recruits for big time college football and basketball players are coming forward with too many stories about improper benefits before and during their time at universities. You don't hear much about baseball recruits being done this way but I think that is due to the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in TV money for football and basketball vs a quarter, 2 dimes a nickle and 3 pennies for the rights to show college baseball. Plus with the best of the best high school baseball players being allowed to go straight to the MLB draft right out of high school, there is not as much competition between universities for the best players because the money and other benefits a college can offer a kid is no where near what the MLB will pay. Let high school kids over the age of 18 decide on whether they want to get put in any professional draft. But if they sign a letter of intent to play college sports then make it similar to college baseball where you have to stay for 3 years minimum. If these 18 year old kids are allowed to go in the armed services and protect our country then allow them to make their own decisions on attempting professional athletics. Stop trying to parent them in that they must stay a year in college basketball, they must stay 3 years in college baseball, they must stay xxxxx years in college football. College basketball has seen a decrease in overall talent for the past 10 years and it will continue to decrease with all the one and doners.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky allegations..... No April Fools Joke

It's not an April Fool's joke, but it's also not news.

This guy worked for UK for 2 months when Calipari was hired. He was let go and the violations reported to the NCAA almost 2 years ago. They are secondary violations and the NCAA chose not to punish.

This is just a pathetic attempt to use UK's Final Four appearance to drag up an old story that is a non-story and get some press for the writers.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe a uk fan would post this garbage. Like know1 said, this is old news and is just an attempt to bring the big blue nation down. Nice try!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lil skeeter View Post
    Can't believe a uk fan would post this garbage. Like know1 said, this is old news and is just an attempt to bring the big blue nation down. Nice try!
    I was not trying to bring the Big Blue nation down. I call a spade a spade and it may be old news to you but I never heard of it 2 years ago and if I did did not remember it. When it is posted on Fox Sports and ESPN is talking about it TODAY, then it is back in the news for something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/02/1...assistant.html

Allegations of improper phone calls were made by Bilal Batley to recruits while an assistant at Memphis and UK under Calipari. Batley was let go in July 2009, while working with a player not within the appproved practise time. Demarcus Cousins told Fox Sports that he received such calls from Batley while being recruited to attend Memphis. Maybe something maybe nothing but with Calipari's less than stellar record, you can bet it will be investigated to the fullest.

I for one wish College Sports would get back to good old fashion college sports at its finest. But we will NEVER see that for way too much money in it for the schools, coaches and players. Coaches like Tressell, Pearl, Kiffin and Calhoun that break the rules need to be punished to the fullest to set examples. I don't think this will stop all the underhanded recruiting efforts but where there is smoke there is fire. Too many recruits for big time college football and basketball players are coming forward with too many stories about improper benefits before and during their time at universities. You don't hear much about baseball recruits being done this way but I think that is due to the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in TV money for football and basketball vs a quarter, 2 dimes a nickle and 3 pennies for the rights to show college baseball. Plus with the best of the best high school baseball players being allowed to go straight to the MLB draft right out of high school, there is not as much competition between universities for the best players because the money and other benefits a college can offer a kid is no where near what the MLB will pay. Let high school kids over the age of 18 decide on whether they want to get put in any professional draft. But if they sign a letter of intent to play college sports then make it similar to college baseball where you have to stay for 3 years minimum. If these 18 year old kids are allowed to go in the armed services and protect our country then allow them to make their own decisions on attempting professional athletics. Stop trying to parent them in that they must stay a year in college basketball, they must stay 3 years in college baseball, they must stay xxxxx years in college football. College basketball has seen a decrease in overall talent for the past 10 years and it will continue to decrease with all the one and doners.
    Does it really shock you that cal let this happen! The coaches you mentioned got caught. Cal is slick but his time is coming, and for all you big blue fans I hope he has moved on when it catches up with him!

I wonder when universities will, when looking for coaches, take there integerity into count-not just wins and loses. I cant stand duke but hats off to coach k for running a clean program. I cant remember if duke has ever had any allagations. Just my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokefan View Post
    I wonder when universities will, when looking for coaches, take there integerity into count-not just wins and loses. I cant stand duke but hats off to coach k for running a clean program. I cant remember if duke has ever had any allagations. Just my 2 cents...

No Duke has never broken the rules...Thank that teaching of Coach K, to none other than no other than The General Robert M. Knight. The entire time Knight was at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech, he never broke the rules.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    No Duke has never broken the rules...Thank that teaching of Coach K, to none other than no other than The General Robert M. Knight. The entire time Knight was at Army, Indiana and Texas Tech, he never broke the rules.....
    Not under Coach K, but you can't say Duke has never broken the rules because I think I saw somewhere that they was put on probation back in the early 1970's for the recruiting of David Thompson. Bobby Knight was never busted for breaking any rules but a model citizen he is not. Choking players, throwing chairs, grabbing students arms and giving them a lecture on respect, assault charges ......

I think only Penn State and Stanford are the ONLY college football programs playing in the power conferences that have NEVER been busted for rules violations. This is since the mid 1950's. I think everybody cheats but to what extent. Way too many former players coming forth with too many stories that are pretty similar. Coaches making phone calls during dead periods, coaches showing up at games during dead periods, cash, girls, grade fixing, entrance exams ...... the list goes on and on. I think the movie Blue Chips with Nick Nolte is a pretty good idea of what goes on in big time college sports. But until the NCAA chops off a few arms instead of slapping them on the wrist and with the money that is flowing thru the university because of the success of their sports programs, then coaches will do what they have to do because the upside is so much exponentially greater than the downside. If we win and don't get caught, I become a coaching legend that makes huge sums of money but if I get caught then I will get fired, the university will get put on probation I will move onto another university and make my money again.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right I forgot about him. He was an awesome coach, I really liked him, he got shafted at Indiana. Never forget the last game Cawood Ledford called against Indiana cause Knight walked over to his announce position and gave him a Indiana sweater just like the Generals. I was watching the game with my grandad, he was die hard uk and I thought he was going to blow a gasket when it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

This is comical. Some Ky fans just never learn lol. You can believe this about as much as the wall scandal, the Bledsoe scandal, Jones scandal and Davis scandal. You'd think people would learn when the same 3 guys are reporting the scandal's at peak times for UK over and over again that there isn't anything to them. It's just fodder to try and knock us off the mountain guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpage70 View Post
    This is comical. Some Ky fans just never learn lol. You can believe this about as much as the wall scandal, the Bledsoe scandal, Jones scandal and Davis scandal. You'd think people would learn when the same 3 guys are reporting the scandal's at peak times for UK over and over again that there isn't anything to them. It's just fodder to try and knock us off the mountain guys.

Yes because there was surely nothing to the Bledsoe situation!

Post Thanks / Like

After the NCAA looked into his grades twice, UK once and a Birmingham law firm once, you're right, there was nothing to it at all. Glad you agree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpage70 View Post
    After the NCAA looked into his grades twice, UK once and a Birmingham law firm once, you're right, there was nothing to it at all. Glad you agree

Not exactly true, the Birmingham law firm looked into it at the request of the Alabama High School Athletic Association and reported back that Bledsoe's grades had been changed an inordinate amount. It was the AHSAA that declined to punish despite the lawyer findings and they changed their rules for the future.