After a lot of reading, watching "how to" video's and collecting some basic materials, I finally tied a few flies this morning. Nothing fancy, just some basic beginner patterns. Found out a couple of things real quick. First, I need more light on the tying bench. Second, this old man's eyes can't see worth a dam, so I will also need to add some type of magnification.

Anyone use one of those round magnification lamps, the ones with a magnification lens in the center, surrounded by a fluorescent light bulb? Other recommendations?

As to the flies, for the first one I picked a simple San Juan Worm pattern. Figured no way to screw that one up. So I tied some wire and chenille on a #6 hook. Then I moved on to a Blood Midge Pattern on a #14 Scud hook. That's when I needed the eyeballs of my youth. Had a hard time seeing what I was doing. Tied, stripped back down, retied, stripped, etc 6 or 7 times before I got the proportions, etc looking anything like I thought the should. Glad I didn't purchase at lot of #20 - #24 hooks...... Link to photo's below.

Think I'm going to enjoy tying....once I get some type of magnification in place .

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...017#post449017