Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Finally Getting Started Tying

After a lot of reading, watching "how to" video's and collecting some basic materials, I finally tied a few flies this morning. Nothing fancy, just some basic beginner patterns. Found out a couple of things real quick. First, I need more light on the tying bench. Second, this old man's eyes can't see worth a dam, so I will also need to add some type of magnification.

Anyone use one of those round magnification lamps, the ones with a magnification lens in the center, surrounded by a fluorescent light bulb? Other recommendations?

As to the flies, for the first one I picked a simple San Juan Worm pattern. Figured no way to screw that one up. So I tied some wire and chenille on a #6 hook. Then I moved on to a Blood Midge Pattern on a #14 Scud hook. That's when I needed the eyeballs of my youth. Had a hard time seeing what I was doing. Tied, stripped back down, retied, stripped, etc 6 or 7 times before I got the proportions, etc looking anything like I thought the should. Glad I didn't purchase at lot of #20 - #24 hooks...... Link to photo's below.

Think I'm going to enjoy tying....once I get some type of magnification in place .

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...017#post449017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally Getting Started Tying

Gary, I have been tying a little bit over the years but a couple of months ago I decided I was going to get serious about it. It is addicting and almost as fun as fishing. The biggest thing I have learned is that there are not short cuts to learning. Just tie! Once you do enough of one pattern you automatically get a feel for the proprtions and the little tricks. Have fun with it, it looks like your off to a great start.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a visor. You can get them most any place that sells tools and they have interchangeable lens for different eye requirements. I tried the magnifying glass but it has to be placed either behind or to the side of your vice. Mine was always in my way. Plus you move your head to focus, not the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up on the visor. I'll check them out. Sure sounds better than $100 bucks for a magnifier-lamp .

Stepped up the level of difficult this morning and tied a #14 Bubble Back Midge, a #16 Griffith's Gant and and #18 Mayfly Nymph (Nymph's legs/feather needs some work ). Over all, while they wont be winning any awards, not to shabby. Like you said Tim, I'll just keep on tying and hope for incremental improvements .

Post Thanks / Like

That is all you can do. Stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Boone! The funnest part of fly tying for me is sitting at the vise and experimenting with new patterns. Then....the really fun part is knocking them dead on a pattern you developed! Fun stuff!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I'm liking it!! Went to the creek late last week and caught trout (9 to 10 inch stockers) on three of the flies I've tied; the "Bubble Back Midge", as well as a couple of Soft Hackle files, one yellow and another black, which I patterned somewhat after Hugh Hartsell's "Smoky Mountain Blackbird". You guys are right, there's a great deal of satisfaction in catching one on something you tied.

To help these ole eyes with the tying, I have ordered a magnification visor; Baush & Lomb.
    Last edited by FlyLie; 04-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Yep, I'm liking it!! Went to the creek late last week and caught trout (9 to 10 inch stockers) on three of the flies I've tied; the "Bubble Back Midge", as well as a couple of Soft Hackle files, one yellow and another black, which I patterned somewhat after Hugh Hartsell's "Smoky Mountain Blackbird". You guys are right, there's a great deal of satisfaction in catching one on something you tied.

To help these ole eyes with the tying, I have ordered a magnification visor; Baush & Lomb.
    Good for you Boone...I had figured most creeks would be a wash-out, glad you found some fishable water. I'm just hanging on for dryer weather...and lower creeks....come on baby!!!

-Rich