Search Fishin.com

Thread: Sandhill Cranes

Post Thanks / Like

Sandhill Cranes

This is probably one of the first posts I've made on the hunting board...if it's not then it's probably the first thread on the huntinig board that I started anyway.

Kind of curious to know what you guys think about KDFWR proposing the hunting of Sandhill Cranes in 2012 on a permit basis? Is there an over population of them now or what? I have no idea and I'm just trying to find out more on this subject.

I read something in the Courier-Journal from like a tree hugger type of person, which basically read "don't hunt the Sandhill Cranes".

For the record I have always respected the job that KDFWR does, I think they do a decent job...I'm hoping someone from KDFWR might post something on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sandhill Cranes

Chub, although I don't have a problem with them opening up a season on them I don't have any plans to hunt them. I believe that if there was not a sustainable population then they would not create a season on these birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night on The Strader show they called them flying ribeyes! I'm wondering if they are the same cranes I see on the river all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    This is probably one of the first posts I've made on the hunting board...if it's not then it's probably the first thread on the huntinig board that I started anyway.

Kind of curious to know what you guys think about KDFWR proposing the hunting of Sandhill Cranes in 2012 on a permit basis? Is there an over population of them now or what? I have no idea and I'm just trying to find out more on this subject.

I read something in the Courier-Journal from like a tree hugger type of person, which basically read "don't hunt the Sandhill Cranes".

For the record I have always respected the job that KDFWR does, I think they do a decent job...I'm hoping someone from KDFWR might post something on this subject.
    Tim, there is a very sustainable population and they want to keep it in check before they overpopulate. From all reports they are a delicious on the table.

Here is a good read about the subject from KDFWR: http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=946