Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Valve cover vent valve

Jeep Grand Cherokee 6-cyl 4.0L. The broken valve is the one that comes off the front of the valve cover and connects over to the air filter housing. I have the replacement (had to order it online) and I can see that the new one should just pop right in, I'm just wondering about getting the old one out? It broke off underneath where it bends so it's gonna be a bitch to get a good grip on it. Reckon I'll just try a pair of vise grips or channel locks and pull it on out, but I was wondering if anybody may have replaced one and have any tips? The one thing I"m worried about is a piece breaking off and falling down inside the valve cover, that would be a PAIN.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Valve cover vent valve

you have teh right plan. get a grip and yank. There is no part that can come off and fall in it is a solid piece of plastic into a rubber gromet. besides the 4.0 is so bullet proof you can probably drop metal ball bearings in there and teh rocker arms wouldnt even notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what everybody's told me, you should be able to just pop the old one out. Problem is the plastic is so old it just cracks apart when you pull on it. Now the whole neck has broken off. It's gotten down to some parts I can get a hold of with vise grips now, but no matter how hard I pull, that thing just won't come past the grommet. I think I'm gonna end up taking it out piece by piece. Not having fun here.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found the problem. My Jeep is a '95, and the replacement part I ordered is for a '95, but the part they put on the '91-93's actually screws on from underneath. I'm thinking this has got to have one of those on there, or else it would have popped out. And I'm pretty sure this is true, because the original part is black, but the replacement I got is gray, and the website shows the 91-93 part in black. So the valve cover is going to have to come off in order to replace it. Gotta love it!