Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Basics of Catching Bait under Light with Cast Net

Thinking I need to start catching shad for use as striper bait. In the past have always used shiners, but seems shad is the preferred bait for stripers. I have a couple of lights that go into the water and a net. Now, the question is how, and what type of area(s) (main lake, creeks, marinas, etc.) should I use them. I also understand catching bait is still a bit on the slow side right now. Your help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basics of Catching Bait under Light with Cast Net

I have always had luck catching them in the shallows by a dam or spill way. they get up in the current and then split off to the side where it lightens up. where the water pours over a rock or wall in an area like this is another good spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Troy. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I need to catch them in Lake Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyRalph502 View Post
    I have always had luck catching them in the shallows by a dam or spill way. they get up in the current and then split off to the side where it lightens up. where the water pours over a rock or wall in an area like this is another good spot.
    Troy be careful throwing a net at that dam behind you Josh the DNR guy might let it slide but officers Henderson or Spanehour might not LOL.Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Boone,
    I typically have the most success catching bait in the creeks near deep water or at the head of a creek. I sometimes use a 12V light and leave a battery fastened to a tire that is anchored to the bottom. I come back a few hours later and throw at the light. The trick is turn off the light prior to the net hitting the water. When the bait is deep, I sometimes let the net sink down approximately 50 feet. I bought a wireless device a while back that kills the power to the battery. I also catch bait at my marina, however, I would not suggest throwing a net at other fishermens lights especially the guides. I have caught people trying to catch bait at my light in the early morning, I typically ask them to let me throw (because I enjoy catching bait and I have perfected the art of cast net throwing) and I will typically share my catch with them at no cost. The guides pay for their slip at higher price than the average joe and can have the marinas post signs that no cast net throwing is allowed. I always try to give bait away at the end of the day or if the bait is plentiful. I sometimes enjoy catching bait as much as fishing and not to mention the workout you get from trying. If you would like to have a link for this wireless device send me a PM and I will send you the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Thinking I need to start catching shad for use as striper bait. In the past have always used shiners, but seems shad is the preferred bait for stripers. I have a couple of lights that go into the water and a net. Now, the question is how, and what type of area(s) (main lake, creeks, marinas, etc.) should I use them. I also understand catching bait is still a bit on the slow side right now. Your help is appreciated.
    look up KY Trophy Hunters, (a memeber on here) or google his web site) email him for info,
    Randy Gibson:
    uses a cast net an knows if they catchable at certain times

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use my cast net there due to the fact of rocks but it is a good spot. Most of the time i simply grab them with m hands or scoop them on the shoreline.

Post Thanks / Like

You've really got me thinking about a portable, self contained, battery operated light that can be left out in the lake. Did some searches and didn't come up with anything that I thought really hit a home run. I've done some circuit design and have a model in my head.

Characteristics:
    Powerful
    Efficient
    Rechargeable
    Light switching (will only switch on after dark)
    Convertible to boat power or 12v adapter
    All parts accessible/replaceable

Optional:
    Wireless remote on off.

It's a buoy design that would be pre-weighted if you hang it off the boat but could also be tethered to a buoy weight and line that holds it on the bottom. With the wireless option, you could pull up and cast to it then hit a remote to turn it off. The cost may be way too much due to the power demands of the receiver. Without it, you could return, then switch it over to batter power to control the on and off.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary several guides are docked at grider hill marina, maybe you could work out some kind of deal with one of them.We did that with a guide at lake lanier, and it wasn't that expensive.