Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

KY Lake Bluegill/Shellcracker

Has the KY Lake bluegill and shellcracker fishing started to pick up yet or do we still have a week or so? How do you think all the rain will affect it? We will be there 5/11 - 5/15.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Lake Bluegill/Shellcracker

You may hit it just about right. Was out there this weekend bass fishing, and things didn't look quite just right yet for the shellcrackers. I plan on going this weekend for them with a fisheries bioligist who knows where they are at, and will you give you an update of what we find.

One thing to consider, if you don't hit the shellcrackers right when you're here, you should be able to load up on the channel cats - they should be in full swing on the rip rap then.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

what does the water level look like down there. just saw on tv where they said the ohio river will crest with a new record in Paducah didn't know if they would really start holding back a lot of water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlawson435 View Post
    what does the water level look like down there. just saw on tv where they said the ohio river will crest with a new record in Paducah didn't know if they would really start holding back a lot of water
    Looked fine this weekend. Supposed to be dropping down to about 3 ft below summer pool before they shut the gates off. About every other gate was open on Sat. and Sun.

Post Thanks / Like

cant say about ky. lake but can say in northern ky the blue gill have just started showing themselves, caught 4 nice ones sunday have been trying for them the last 4 or 5 weeks with no luck untill now. Generally for me they start biting at easter. Caught them on homemade 1/16 oz jigs with pink tails tipped with crappie niblet.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob46,
    What lake did you hit with all of this rain??
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I didn't go to KY Lake after all. My buddies and I got a little too rowdy Friday night at the crawfish bowl and slept in on Saturday. We ended up staying in the Russellville area and hit up Lake Herndon (aka Boy Scout Lake). We found some FAT DADDY shellcrackers in there, each loaded up with eggs and about to pop! Even caught some monster bluegill that were just as full with eggs as well. The largemouth were on fire - no monsters but we caught probably 30 all in the 1.5 to 2 lb range. We went back on Sunday for more, but a good rain during the night dirtied up the water and moved the fish...we couldn't locate but just a few, and were run off the lake by lightning.

All in all a great weekend. Good food, good friends, and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not looking good for the shellcracker fishing. The lake is 12 feet over summer pool now. I had planned on going on the same dates as you but the water is going to be much higher than in was last year. Probably will pass this year and try to find another lake to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to try it anyway. I was looking at last year's data and the lake peaked at 369 on May 7th. Starting on the 7th they pulled the lake down 8 feet in four days. The 10 day forecast right now looks good, but we all know that could change. The lake could be 10 feet lower a week from now, but I guess a lot of that depends on the Ohio too. One thing about the fish, they have to stay in the water which means you always have a chance. I noticed that some of the guides caught good shellcracker and bluegill during the peak, draw down and after last year's flood. We may have to look them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redearonbread View Post
    I noticed that some of the guides caught good shellcracker and bluegill during the peak, draw down and after last year's flood. We may have to look them up.
    You're right on the money with that. The lake I fished this weekend was exceptionally high, but we still found them. They were very much scattered - wasn't like you would find one and then a whole mess...you had to keep moving along and would pick one up here and there.

What we found were that the shellcrackers had moved way up into the feeder creek - a place not normally accessible throughout the year. I caught a bass and found out what was going on: after catching him, he regurgitated a fistful of nightcrawlers. I guess the rain had washed a lot of nightcrawlers into the feeder creek and the fish moved in to take advantage of it. The water was also much clearer in the feeder creek, which surprised me.

I think finding clear or clearer water is the key. Shellcrackers cannot tolerate dirty water, and will move until they find the color water that they like.

I would say your trip will be a good one. Lots of good things swaying in your direction. My guess is that you'll be targeting the shellcrackers and end up loading up on catfish. The channel cats should be in the same places gorging themselves that you would expect to find the shellcrackers. It would be a good idea to have one guy fishing with red wigglers and the other with small crappie minnows. You may even hook up on some good largermouth as well on the crappie minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info! Thanks!
    Appreciate the boost!