Search Fishin.com

Thread: Laurel Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel Lake

Heading there this weekend for some fishing in waters that arent raging mudslides. Is anything biting right now? Gonna try for some walleyes and maybe some smallies, expecting tough fishing conditions but I have been wrong before....just ask my wife.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Laurel Lake

The bite has been fair for bass during the day with some on the bed and others in post spawn, with the majority of the post spawners being smallies...As of the walleye they have been coming up at night, throw a slow movimg topwater that has lots of noise/rattles in it. Its muddy up in the river...find stained water...throw a spinmerbait. Hope this helps...big tourney out of Grove Marina on saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. Are the shad flippin' at night? I thought about spending the day at Wood Creek, then moving over to Laurel for some night Walleye?

The last time I was at Laurel (years ago) there was a newly implemented boat ramp fee or tag required. Is there something that I must do in advance or can I pay on site?

Post Thanks / Like

You need to get a recreational pass before you go. They don't have pay at site unless somethings changed since the fall. You use to be able to get them at the BP station there off the interstate or at the tackle store right down the road a small peice.

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel lake will be tough this weekend especially after the tourny Saturday. It's 100 boats + a few and that will make for a tough walleye bite that nite. Try to work mid lake at nights it is likely to get less pressure from all the boaters. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You will need a pass. They sell daily, multi day, and annual passes. You cannot get them at the ramp. You have to buy them from a local store.

Below is a link of places that sell the National Boone Forest Boat Ramp passes.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recrea...uypermit.shtml

Hope this helps. It took me a while a few years ago to track one down. I think the annual pass is $40 and I would get one now because they are almost impossible to find once the Ohio Navy starts coming down.

Post Thanks / Like

hit the lake on friday night with nothing to show for the effort, threw topwater and jerkbaits for walleye. Went back saturday morning and fished main lake points and shorlines with jigs,crankbaits, flukes and shakey heads...nothing. The water was a brisk 61 degrees and no fish were on any nests or even near the shorelines that I could see, carp were spawning though. Was going to go back this evening but the starter on the boat died and the fish were not cooperating so I called it an unsuccessful fishing trip and went home. This lake has kicked my rear end 3 out of 4 times now, and I realize it is due to my lack of fishability but just like in the game rock, paper, scissors, the best out of 4 wins and I have accepted defeat. I am off to fish more productive waters, like a mud puddle or the sewer treatment plant.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way about laurel... it is a tough lake to fish but i have seen some MONSTER Brown fish caught in that lake..... I had one on last year that would have been in the 6 pound range but she threw it back at me..... There is always a big chance for a big bite on that lake and thats what draws me back time and time again.... That big momma is just one cast away down there......

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Saturday from 5pm till 10:30pm. Fished Indian Camp and Craigs Creeks with only 1 fish caught. Caught a 16" LM in upper Craigs on a Brown Jig.

This lake is tuff, but it has the potential for a great payout. It just didn't happen for me today.

Good Luck