Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

floor for jon boat

I have been reading the posts concerning what to use for flooring in an aluminum jon
    boat. I had a chance to buy some 4x8 foot aluminum sheets about 2 years back. If anyone
    knows where this could be purchased please let me know. I don't want to put marine
    plywood in the boat . I am trying to keep the weight down . If I cannot get some
    aluminum what would be the best and lightest material available ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: floor for jon boat

I have 3/8 exterior plywood that I coated in fiberglass resin. Has held up well over past 5 yrs. However I am able to take floor board out to air dry after a soaking rain. And my boat isn't exposed to the elements when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a aluminum sandwiched like plywood. aluminum on both sides with styrofoam or something similar between. I can't remember what is called but it strong and works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    There is a aluminum sandwiched like plywood. aluminum on both sides with styrofoam or something similar between. I can't remember what is called but it strong and works well.
    I would like to know what that is since I have alot of wood in my 1448 Grizzly. It works great but is heavy. I installed a nice deck on front and back and the floor has plywood down as well. If I could redo it with some composite or aluminum (within reasonable cost) I would.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try a sign shop they would carry it. I used it for the sign in front of my shop. Also you could use a spray on bed liner to help dampen noise in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Steel in Lexington has mill finish aluminum 48 x 96, but it is pricey. Let me know what size you need and I will check what I have in stock.
    <-------(Runs a fab shop)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I would like to know what that is since I have alot of wood in my 1448 Grizzly. It works great but is heavy. I installed a nice deck on front and back and the floor has plywood down as well. If I could redo it with some composite or aluminum (within reasonable cost) I would.
    Alucobond is the name - aka aluminum composite panel

Used to be able to get scraps/defects from guys that worked at the plant, but that was stopped a while back. Kind of hard to find now. It might have been made by Alcoa at one time, but I know things have changed around some with that company in the last few years.

It's very solid and light-weight.

It's heavily used in the commercial and architectural industry. A lot of it is in place in downtown Louisville at 4th Street Live!

I used it for a floor in a 14 ft jon boat a long time ago - it was rock solid!

Post Thanks / Like

I need 2 sheets 48x94. That would leave some extra to cover casting deck extention.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several places to buy alum sheet but as an individual buying only 2 they are going to take you to the cleaners, I work for a metal co that sells alum sheet, it high right now but here are some names of businesses that sell it, Ryerson, oneal steel, harbor steel, siskin steel, Earl m Jorgenson, central steel, copper and brass sales, but I'm telling you it's going to be high unless you get someone like the guy above who orders a bunch of it and gets a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G3 with a finish on it that prevents any foot slipping when wet. Its a slick type finish, taken me a while to trust it, I would highly recommend when you floor is installed, to have the metal, coated, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
    I have been reading the posts concerning what to use for flooring in an aluminum jon
    boat. I had a chance to buy some 4x8 foot aluminum sheets about 2 years back. If anyone
    knows where this could be purchased please let me know. I don't want to put marine
    plywood in the boat . I am trying to keep the weight down . If I cannot get some
    aluminum what would be the best and lightest material available ?
    There is a product out there that is a polyfiber decking made for marine use. It works like wood (cut, paint, sand and drill) but is made of poly fibers. It will not rot, rust or pit. It is also much lighter than wood.

Bad news is it is $$$$$$$.

Bass pro sells it, here is the link.

http://www.basspro.com/TACO-Marine-L...52676/-1018508
    Last edited by kydonky; 05-05-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought would be to use the Trex or similar decking material at Lowes or Home Depot. The narrow strips that are designed for home decking may offer drainage to the bilge. All made or polyfibers.

Just a thought