Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Battery issues again......

OK...........I only really want folks who fish a LOT, and I mean ROBO fish, or guide to respond........I know that folks that fish only a few times a year can get 10 craploads of time out of their batteries, but I want answers for folks that tourney fish HEAVILY or spend 75 days or more a year on the water........

HOW many years do you get out of a set of batteries..........

Everything I have read talks about 200-300 cycles....and you should only expect 200 cycles.......meaning 200 full discharge/recharge cycles.

I just replaced my batteries again, after only 2 years 4 months of usage........*****.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery issues again......

I run and fish about 35 Tournaments a year and Fish about 3-4 times in the week. I have 3 year and 4 month old batteries in my boat wright now. I Charge them after every time out. I have what is called a blim battery from a little place in Hillview KY The Battery is a Suprlex made here in KY Had a Set in my old Boat for 5 years. If they have them in stock they are the best in my mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my Optima's maybe 6 years or so - I may not fish 75 days a year but close to that. They are expensive but mine have held up well - I had big motor problems last year from late summer into fall and fished only by trolling motor and had no problem.

I'm not a run and gun guy - I tend to fish an area pretty carefully - so that could be a factor - but instead of starting the big motor to run 100-200 yrds to another spot I will use the trolling motor and watch the graph while trolling to the next spot - found many new spots that way. I've got a Triton TR-21 and it's got way (weigh?) more tackle in it than I can find plus it hauls my big butt too - so my batteries get a workout!

I know there are several other good batteries out there but I haven't used them - I went the cheaper route and ended up replacing them every couple of years or SOONER...thats when I went to the optimas - when they go I will replace them with optimas.

I would check everything to be sure your battery problem isn't starting with another issue like connections, wiring, fuse/cir breaker, charger, charger output, etc, one of my set of batteries was caused by my on board charger which had a bank that would shutdown after charging an hour or so . . . and you don't want to spend alot of money on batteries that can't charge or discharge properly. Be sure to charge your batteries after you use them - I leave my on board charger plugged in all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I was looking for guys..............I've always opted for cheaper/mid range batteries, but this is the 3rd set of batteries that I've put in this boat.......

I'm only getting 2 or 3 years out of them so I'm either going to continue to do this a gripe about poor performance, KNOWING I only have 160 - 170 bucks in the two, or I'm going to step up and buy some performance batteries.

If I could get 4-5 years a set, then 250 for two is not a bad deal........If I can get 6-7 like the optimas, then 500-600 for those may not be a bad deal.

I just don't know

In the 3 sets I have put in so far, I've spent 600 bucks or so..........if I get 2 years out of these, then I would have spent 600 for 6 years.........What do you guys think.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

i think you should put about 30 batteries in the floor with a huge solar panel canopy over the boat...

Post Thanks / Like

I only fish about 75 to 100 times a year usually, but I have been using autozone marines (i know everyone says awwww But) If they don't hold up I take em back and get new ones. no questions so far. course with 3 boats, 3 campers and 2 golf carts I am a helluva customer for them when I do belly up to the counter at buying time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i think you should put about 30 batteries in the floor with a huge solar panel canopy over the boat...
    hahahahahahhaa.............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I only fish about 75 to 100 times a year usually, but I have been using autozone marines (i know everyone says awwww But) If they don't hold up I take em back and get new ones. no questions so far. course with 3 boats, 3 campers and 2 golf carts I am a helluva customer for them when I do belly up to the counter at buying time
    What is their warranty..........2 years replacement or 18 months??

I used to really like the wally world maxx batteries but they changed the warranty from 3 yr replacement to 18 month replacement and NO prorate after.

So, a 2 or 3 yr replacement warranty would be worth a few extra bills.....especially for me

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

George, I will have to look . I can't remember (thats no shock i can't remember if I had breakfast today). I know I have had them exchange at least 4 in the last two years for a boat and a golf cart no questions and no money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    George, I will have to look . I can't remember (thats no shock i can't remember if I had breakfast today). I know I have had them exchange at least 4 in the last two years for a boat and a golf cart no questions and no money
    That sounds GREAT........I think if you puke out a battery in less than 2-3 years, it should be replaced, but after that..........well you prob got your moneys worth.

I talked to the wally world district manager and he said that so many folks were abusing the exchange policy on marine batteries that they had to change it.

Funny thing......the automotive MAXX batteries still carry a 3 year exchange and a 9 year prorated warranty........

I guess there is some truth to his story.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Battery life depends on how well you maintain them (fluid levels, charging, etc.) - with the advancements in on-board chargers, they have greatly helped me increase the amount of battery life I've been getting. Letting a dead battery sit will dramatically reduce it's life, so you need to make every effort to charge it back up immediately after use.

I check my battery fluid about twice a year, and top off as needed. I charge them immediately after I get the boat back in the garage. In doing so, I got 6 years out of the last set of batteries, and they were the Everstart batteries from Wal-Mart. They were still holding charge well when I changed them, but they would no longer hold enough charge to get me through an 8 hr day on the water. I average about 100 days on the water in the bass boat, depending on the river conditions...will be a little less this year unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with artcarney, it is a mater of scheduled mainteance. I don't fish the tourney scene any more and but use my boat 12 to 18 days fishing a year, most days in a row is three.
    I had 3 new Delco enegizers (all identical) purchased about 10+ years ago I replaced both of my trolling motor batteries after 7 & 1/2 years later one of which had a dead cell and would not fully charge . . I replaced both of them because of & due to the fact, I wanted equal strength for the pair. I just replaced the stating battery last April after 10 years. I have friends that go about the same amounts of times a year that I do and they can't get two years on a trolling motor battery.
    The difference between me and my friends is this: I have a 3 bank onboard on my Triton when I come in from the trips I plug it in immediately and leave them plugged in, the charger will shut off when fully charged and kick in when needed. Even when I am at the lake over night, I charge them that night and start with a fresh charge the next day. All batteries must be re-charged within 24 hours of use. Any longer than that corrosion sets in on the lead plates. When I talk to my friends they do not re-charge as soon as I do and when they are done charging up they unplug thier chargers.