Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

optima batteries

I would like to know if anybody has used the sc34dm optimas for trolling and or starting/accessories. I know they are not the 31 series for sure, but they are somewhat cheaper. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: optima batteries

Bought the blue top marine battery for my trolling motor 5-6 years ago - decent power but it would run down like any battery when used . After a years use it started losing power , I ended up giving it to my father-in-law because it was so weak . Optima's are made by Interstate battery . The advertising for Optimas is a load of bull hockey if you ask me , they dont last or work any better than any other marine battery . Save your money and get a Rural king marine battery on sale for $54 .

Post Thanks / Like

heck ive got a 4 year old motorcraft car battery that has outlasted any marine battery ive ever had.. and it still out lasts the two new batteries ive got now... i guess i got the pick of the litter on this one

Post Thanks / Like

Working on 3 years with my Bass Pro Shops Trolling Motor batteries. 24V System. I use the XPS Deep Cycle 185 Series. They have outlasted Optima by far.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Blue top Deep Cycle Optima battery D34M (55 Ah) for the trolling motor when Bluegrass first opened to the public back around 2003/4.

I finally replaced it with the larger Blue top deep cycle battery D31M (75 Ah) in March of 2010.

I still use the older Optima D34M for an accessory battery for running lights at night. It's still works good and holds a full charge after all these years. I bought both my first Optimas in Jan 2003. It's now May 2011 and the starting optima 34M is still working and holding a full charge. That's 8 years folks.

For 6 years the D34M would power my Minn-Kota All-Terrain 50 lb thrust trolling motor while fishing two or three times a week all spring, summer, and fall at Bluegrass and Patoka Lake. I'd charge it back up in less than 4 hours after using it all day long. It never died on me once. Remember back then Bluegrass was trolling motor only so I used the trolling motor all day long. So I used the trolling motor to go from one end of Bluegrass Pit to the other end and back and it never failed me one time.

I did get caught in a high wind once that prevented me from getting back to the launch ramp with the trolling motor. I had to fire up the gas motor and slowly go back to the ramp from the H. But the winds were blowing in excess of 25 mph and never let down that day. I tried not to fish on windy days back them. I still try to avoid going out in the boat on really windy days.

I also have the dual deep-cycle/starting Optima Bluetop Battery 34M (50 Ah) in my boat that I use to start the gas motor. This is the Blue top Optima with the Dark Gray Bottom. I am still using it now. It's going on it's 7 th year. It still works great and holds a charge all winter long.

It's never failed to start my 35 HP Johnson Engine in the past 8 years.

The key to keeping any battery going is to charge it back up right after you use it for that day. If you fail to charge it back up right away it may not last you as long. In ther last 8 years I never once failed to recharge the batteries when I got back home. I think that's the main reason they have lasted me so long.

Optimas when charged up will hold their charge for at least a year while sitting on the shelf. They also use very pure lead to make these so that the internal resistance is very low. Which is why they take a charge so fast.

charge my two optimas in Dec when i stopped fishing Bluegrass due to duck hunting season starting. And when March came around they both were still fully charged and ready go go.

I use a Min-Kota automatic battery charger to keep my Optimas ready to go at all times.

During the winter months I would disconnect all the electrical wires from the starting battery, so that it didn't dicharge from any shorts in the boat's system. I think that's why my batteries lasted this long.

I am thinking about buying a new Optima Starting Battery this year. I need that and a new inflatable life vest. I could probably get by without buying a new Optima but why take a chance. I like to know that I have a new Optma to start the boat up each and every time.

I really should install an Optima in my truck too.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Blue Top Optima, I guess it's the general purpose Optima last year. I've had it out quite a few times now and I honestly think it's just a little better than the traditional batteries. For the money I spent, over two hundred dollars at BPS, I expected it to perform miracles I guess. It's a solid little battery though, just not sure I'll buy another one.

I'd give it a solid B grade for the time being...