Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Almost purchased my fly gear

I pulled up the old thread from last year about getting started in FF. Looked on line for stuff at sportsmans warehouse, drove down with money to burn and froze up. I could not buy a thing. I just feel I need to use a few rods first. I'm going to Maine on a fishing trip this summer and wanted to take my own but I think I'll just use some of theirs to get a feel for what I like.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Almost purchased my fly gear

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I pulled up the old thread from last year about getting started in FF. Looked on line for stuff at sportsmans warehouse, drove down with money to burn and froze up. I could not buy a thing. I just feel I need to use a few rods first. I'm going to Maine on a fishing trip this summer and wanted to take my own but I think I'll just use some of theirs to get a feel for what I like.

Don, when the creek gets back in its banks, maybe we could hit up Elkhorn. I can provide all of the tackle and you could take it for a spin and see what you think before spending any money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Don, when the creek gets back in its banks, maybe we could hit up Elkhorn. I can provide all of the tackle and you could take it for a spin and see what you think before spending any money.
    Tim,
    That's a great idea, I appreciate that! I have been wanting to fly fish for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Don...if I could give you any advise on purchasing your first fly rod/reel, it would be...don't spend a lot! Your first fly rod is going to get beat to death with learning how to cast, playing in the trees, etc. Also, if you find out that fly fishing isn't your cup of tea, then you won't be out a thousand dollars. There are many, great quality rods and reels that you can get into for 1-2 hundred bucks. Later on, once you feel like you have the experience and want to take it to the next level (and want to blow some money), then upgrade to whatever you want. Truth be told.....many a high-end fly fisherman has been outfished by a 1-2 hundred dollar setup! I know...cause I've done it to them! Just try and get a good med/fast action 8' 5wt rod...that is a great starter size and setup. Good luck buddy....and as Tim offered you...you are welcome anytime to join me on my favorite trout water, Trammel Creek, anytime!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

(in my best James Earl Jones voice)The force is strong in you, come....join us on the dark side!