Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elkhorn Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Question Elkhorn Creek

Anyone have any fishing reports for the Elkhorn? With the lakes so high, I was wanting to take my buddy who will be in town for a week fishing somewhere and want to try a kayak fishing trip down the Elkhorn. I have never been on the creek so any advice would be appreciated. We will be going on Tuesday more than likely.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elkhorn Creek

Quote Originally Posted by DRob3382 View Post
    Anyone have any fishing reports for the Elkhorn? With the lakes so high, I was wanting to take my buddy who will be in town for a week fishing somewhere and want to try a kayak fishing trip down the Elkhorn. I have never been on the creek so any advice would be appreciated. We will be going on Tuesday more than likely.
    What part of Elkhorn you plan on fishing? Water levels are good at Frankfort area as I've been pondering heading that way. Just have to decide to fish or run the white water?

Post Thanks / Like

The water is still high, not to the extreme it was but still high and fast. Look out for the low head dams on the creek. Check maps and know where they are before you go. Portage around them. The low head dam at Jim Beam Dist. Has claimed scores. It's dificult to portage around with the steep cliff and distillary wall but I have portaged around it many times with the water this high.

Oh, last thing, stay out of hog hole!!!! This place is just awful. The only reason I fish it so much is that I don't like catching 3-4 pound SM.

Post Thanks / Like

Drove over Elkhorn this morning at the forks and the water looks great. the flow is a little up but not bad at all...water has a nice green tint to it....looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, not sure what part I was going to fish. I was going to rent a fishing kayak from Canoe Ky and just go from there. I have never fished Elkhorn and probably will be my only chance to for a long time. Hopefully going on a Tuesday will cut down on others being on the creek. I would just assume to use some sort of floating rapala, a bitsy tube, and a rebel crawdead crank. Not much experience fishing the streams.

One last thing, where is this hog hole located at? I just want to make sure to avoid it since it has no 3-4 lb smallies in it

Post Thanks / Like

Canoe Ky. will hook you up. They have a 7 mile trip which with no water hazards only a few riffels. They will be swift yet not life threatening. #5 silver shad rap shallow runner will slay them smallies.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Elkhorn Creek

Have not been but have been thinking about it as the weather has been warm and dry lately. A guy could wear them out down there today! Coombro mentioned the Canoe KY section. All that should be good right now. Try a popper, tube, floating Rapala in the slack water... Go to www.canoeky.com for more trip details.

Leave some for me and don't sore lip 'em all!
    Last edited by smljaw; 05-12-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

What is the creek looking like after the weekend of rain? Heading out tomorrow for a trip with a buddy to do some kayak fishing for some smallies.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the creek looking like after the weekend of rain? Heading out tomorrow for a trip with a buddy to do some kayak fishing for some smallies.
    Probably depends on what part your headed to . Go to canoeky.com and they have an up date on water conditions for your info.

Post Thanks / Like

We were actually going to be taking one of the Canoe Ky trips so the area around Canoe Ky is where I am most concerned with. I checked their website and it only had the update from Friday before the rain from the weekend hit.

Post Thanks / Like

We were actually going to be taking one of the Canoe Ky trips so the area around Canoe Ky is where I am most concerned with. I checked their website and it only had the update from Friday before the rain from the weekend hit.
    The weekend staff probably doesn't update. Go to fishing reports here at fishin.com. Scroll to very bottom of page to usgs real time stream flow. Its updated every few hours. Rains weren't gully washers like weeks past. Fri. Elkhorn was 3.45' pushing 529 cfs. This morning its 3.64' pushing 674cfs. Shouldn't be that big a difference. Don't know what their cut off is on rentals so far as water levels ,but you should be able to make trip. If not p.m. me and I'll go with you I have plenty of boats to outfit your trip. And its a nice fun run with some really nice fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the help. I enjoy creek fishing but don't think I have ever fished a creek like the Elkhorn. Right now I have a small rebel crawfish tied on, a small rapala, and then I haven't decided on the bitsy tube or a crawfish colored grub. I will let you know what I hearfeom Canoe Ky when I call them today. You are more than welcome to come fishing with us if you want.
    Last edited by DRob3382; 05-16-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Grammar