Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question boat won't start...again

Had a similiar problem last spring, and ended up replacing everything before we found out it was the starter (well, nearly everything). The only thing that isn't new is the ignition switch and the wiring from it...new battery, cables, solenoid, fuse, starter. Ran just fine last time I took it out, went to use it again a few days later...and nothing! Not even a click? Checked all the connections..everything was tight? Fuse wasn't blown, but I replaced it anyways...nothing. Could it be the ignition switch? I'm clueless when it comes to boat electrical. Any ideas, thanks.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: boat won't start...again

jump the 2 posts at the solenoid with a screwdriver. if it starts, then your problem is either the solenoid or upstream from it. if it doesnt start,check the little wire on the solenoid and see if it gets 12v when the key is put in the start position.if the wire doesnt get hot,then you have a broke wire or ignition switch problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    jump the 2 posts at the solenoid with a screwdriver. if it starts, then your problem is either the solenoid or upstream from it. if it doesnt start,check the little wire on the solenoid and see if it gets 12v when the key is put in the start position.if the wire doesnt get hot,then you have a broke wire or ignition switch problem
    Thx! I'll try that.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Rich I'm like you and not very good on electric's the first thing I do is pull the trailer and boat out of the water go around and kick the tire on the trailer, this has never fixed anything but I feel better.

beep beep

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the solenoid pop rivets at the mounting bracket to engine see if they are loose that caused my problem BAD GROUND.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garyfishin View Post
    Look at the solenoid pop rivets at the mounting bracket to engine see if they are loose that caused my problem BAD GROUND.
    Thankyou...I will check that!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

This might sound stupid but its worth a lOok. Check the termals clean them up really good if they have any corrosion and see id they are connected and the wires are intact. And that point get a mutimeter and if you can set it to the ohms and test the lead from the switch to the motor, battery to the motor. The screw driver across the starter termals will let you know if its something like that. Most likely its something small like a bad/broken wire or a bad switch which you could also test withyour multimeter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon__ View Post
    This might sound stupid but its worth a lOok. Check the termals clean them up really good if they have any corrosion and see id they are connected and the wires are intact. And that point get a mutimeter and if you can set it to the ohms and test the lead from the switch to the motor, battery to the motor. The screw driver across the starter termals will let you know if its something like that. Most likely its something small like a bad/broken wire or a bad switch which you could also test withyour multimeter.
    Thx Brandon...wasn't able to figure out the problem...going to take it to a boat mechanic

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Kill switch? Dont laugh......I've done it before.... till I noticed the lanyard on my jacket.

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys...thx for all the tips. Found out it was the ignition switch after all. Should be back on the water next week!

-Rich