Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trammel Creek 5/16

Well, it finally happened...they stocked Trammel Creek. Took my little girl up there after school let out. It was a cold, drizzly day....too cold for her to get into the water, so I held off on giving her the fly rod. I knew she would want to use it, and with her not being able to get in the water, she would spend most of her time in the trees. When it warms up, and she can get in there...I'll let here use it.

Anyways...the creek has once again completely shifty gravel bars..which I love about Trammel..it always looks like a new creek when I arrive there. Well...we killed them as always. They were picking up anything beadhead as always...and my little girl caught her limit on her salmon eggs . The fun part was dodging the lines from the Minanites (sp?)...they were out there in full force! I lost count, but must have landed around 30 or so in a few hours. Fun stuff!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trammel Creek 5/16

Good to know there is nothing wrong with the "starter" on that fly rod . Good luck with the boat motor!

Congrats to the daughter on limiting out..

Post Thanks / Like

Rich do you fish that beadhead under an indicator? As a dropper on a dry fly? I don't have enough confidence to nymph otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Good to know there is nothing wrong with the "starter" on that fly rod . Good luck with the boat motor!

Congrats to the daughter on limiting out..
    Haha...yeah, thx Boone! Seems to my spring ritual as of late...crappy boat!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Rich do you fish that beadhead under an indicator? As a dropper on a dry fly? I don't have enough confidence to nymph otherwise.
    Tim-
    Yeah...I am a indicator nympher by heart...just the way I was raised and taught out west. I don't understand how guys can nymph without them productively...would seem like you would miss a lot of fish IMO. On Trammel, and similar small waters, I like to use the smallest thingamabobber indicator they make, in white. Then, I just adjust my depth, a tiny split, and a bh anything...money! In skiny water, and lakes, I will fish the hopper/dropper setup...otherwise, I need to get down. I'm going back tomorrow am for a couple hours....hopefully it won't be as crowded!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

You should see some of those fellas on those remote pocket water streams in the smokies. The nymph with barely any line on the water just picking the pockets. No indicator and they catch so many fish it should be illegal lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    You should see some of those fellas on those remote pocket water streams in the smokies. The nymph with barely any line on the water just picking the pockets. No indicator and they catch so many fish it should be illegal lol!
    That is probably the difference between me and them....I grew up fishing big rivers...i.e. Green River, WY..Snake, ID...Provo, UT...etc. You have to have a strike indicator on those waters, or you are flat out not going to catch fish. I can see where on those tiny smokie brook streams that you could get away without one... Shoot...I took mine off yesterday on Trammel because the water was so slow and clear, I was watching them pick up my nymph, haha.

-Rich
    Last edited by RICHYD4U; 05-20-2011 at 02:50 PM.