Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gatlinburg Stream Fishing

Going to Gatlinburg for the weekend with family. Wondering if anyone has any ifo they can share about smallmouth/trout fishing in the streams in that area? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gatlinburg Stream Fishing

The river that runs through town is always stocked with fish. I know the area between Ripley's Aquarium and No Way Jose's is always loaded and when I am down there, I see people fishing all the time. I think you have to have a city permit to fish, but I am not quite sure where to obtain one. Also, the rivers in Cherokee are loaded with fish as well and the tribe has spent considerable time and money trying to revive their fishery. If you have the time, go to Cherokee. There is a fly-shop on Seven Clans Highway called Rivers Edge Outfitters that is very helpful and will get you pointed in the right direction. I was down that way 2 weeks ago and did well. Hope this helps a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc1974 View Post
    Going to Gatlinburg for the weekend with family. Wondering if anyone has any ifo they can share about smallmouth/trout fishing in the streams in that area? Thanks!

If you want to fish for stocked fish, you can go with the Gatlinburg city permit and fish the Pigeon River or fish on Tribal waters. If you are interested in wild trout, there are 800 miles of trout streams in the park. No live or organic bait in the park, flies and lures only.

You can buy a one day or three day Tennessee license and you can fish anywhere in the GSMNP. If you are doing just a short fishing day, you can fish the Little Pigeon pulling off anywhere there is a spot along hwy 441 (main drag through the park). If you make a right near the Sugarland Visitor Center and follow the signs toward Townsend, you can access the Litte River. There is good trout fishing in it and smallmouth fishing on the lower end toward Townsend.

I fish there 3-4 times a year and plan to move there in about 6 years (with or without my wife)! If you have any more questions feel free to post them here or send me a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished in the park last year (Little River and Little Pigeon River) and found that it is cheaper to buy a three day out-of-state North Carolina license than a Tennessee one. You can buy them online, and you can use a North Carolina or Tennessee license anywhere in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

A question just popped into my head regarding National Parks. At Mammoth Cave you are not required to have a fishing liscense, just abide by KY regs regarding size and creel.

I just assumed that the no fishing liscense needed was universal at all National Parks.

I guess that is not the case? (ETA-Looks like MCNP is special in that regard.)
    Last edited by smashdn; 05-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    A question just popped into my head regarding National Parks. At Mammoth Cave you are not required to have a fishing liscense, just abide by KY regs regarding size and creel.

I just assumed that the no fishing liscense needed was universal at all National Parks.

I guess that is not the case? (ETA-Looks like MCNP is special in that regard.)
    I know that you have to buy a license to fish Yellowstone.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc1974 View Post
    The Little River that runs through the park is a great place for trout. Tricky to fish since live bait is not allowed and VERY slippery. Beautiful creek. Have a nice weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not tricky because of the regulations as much as these are WILD fish which is a huge difference in behavior. These fish will bite just about anything you put in front of the as long as you don't spook them Fishing mountain freestone streams like the Little River is more like hunting. Keep a low profile and keep your shadow off potential holding areas and you should be able to catch some fish.