Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion on Kayak?

What ever you decide to buy sit on or cockpit type pay close attention to things like straps,seat backs etc. My neighbor bought three of those fishin kayaks cockpit type for around $300-400 apiece. Their about 2 yrs old now and the seats and back supports Are really starting to show uswear. Once they loose their back support don't know what he'll do. Your right about holding their value though. But take a good look and try to think about what kinda shape they will be in years from now. I have 5 kayaks my favorite one some 15 yrs old. Other than some battle scars (rapids) and uv fading theie in great shape. All my boats are cockpit type and can be rolled back up when upside down. Hope this helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt consideration is to be given to your primary purpose. Fishing, crusing etc. Seen many people buy a kayak and not get what they wanted. So I bought 5 different models. I prefer the cockpit type with skirt. The skirt keeps the cold water out and your legs from getting burnt. lts also must if you need to roll. I do have one of the longer kayaks with dry storage that I can store enough gear in for overnite trips. Tracking and ease of paddling are a plus with this particular model. Longer means takes more room to turn around and trickier to handle around hazards. This boat won't turn on a dime. The weather should also be a factor as a sit on would get chili faster in cooler weather. Your welcome to come down and try some 7 different models if you'd like. I have 5 my neighbor has 2 and one of them is a sit on top.
    Last edited by coombro; 05-31-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: clicked wrong button

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate everyone's input. A couple of my buddies got me hooked on kayak fishing and they keep telling me how cool the community is, and you guys have really supported that. Just wanted to give an update as to my final decision (not to close out the dialog... by all means keep it up). My first time out on a kayak was on a buddies Ocean Prowler Big Game and after talking to him for advise, he agreed to sell me that yak for a great price so he could get a smaller one for his wife. We'll be hittin Elkhorn Creek on Friday for my first run as an official kayak owner

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the Yak man... I am still waiting to have teh money to just go do the deed (been waiting for 2 years). Hopefully all of this overtime will make it work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I really appreciate everyone's input. A couple of my buddies got me hooked on kayak fishing and they keep telling me how cool the community is, and you guys have really supported that. Just wanted to give an update as to my final decision (not to close out the dialog... by all means keep it up). My first time out on a kayak was on a buddies Ocean Prowler Big Game and after talking to him for advise, he agreed to sell me that yak for a great price so he could get a smaller one for his wife. We'll be hittin Elkhorn Creek on Friday for my first run as an official kayak owner
    Congrats man! I have done a float with my yak on there as well and it was great. I really like it when it's flowing good.