Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinion on Kayak?

I'm looking to pick up my first fishin kayak. I'd like to get something used, but after checkin Craigslist, Ebay and other websites I can't find what I'm looking for. The best deal I've found so far seems to be the Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak at Bass Pro for $480.00. I was curious if any of you guy had any pointers, opinions, or ideas that could help me out with this purchase. I'd like to keep the price tag under $600.00, but if it's a good deal I could top that. I'd appreciate any input from you guys that know what your talkin about.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion on Kayak?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I'm looking to pick up my first fishin kayak. I'd like to get something used, but after checkin Craigslist, Ebay and other websites I can't find what I'm looking for. The best deal I've found so far seems to be the Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak at Bass Pro for $480.00. I was curious if any of you guy had any pointers, opinions, or ideas that could help me out with this purchase. I'd like to keep the price tag under $600.00, but if it's a good deal I could top that. I'd appreciate any input from you guys that know what your talkin about.
    Check these outmy dad has one and loves it!!

www.creekboats.com

Post Thanks / Like

Next Saturday you can demo them in Summerset.Not sure if they will have a Coosa there but i will and its great.Its my 2nd in less that a year.Try that with a Bass boat.(i had 3 in 2years)Back too the topic.There are a ton of Kayaks out there.I can fish standing up on my Coosa and that makes it worth the money($999)I may look for a small yak for going up stream but have did it with the Coosa.YMO
    Terry Adolph
    River Basser

Post Thanks / Like

Im in the same boat. I dont want to spend much more than about $600 on a Yak, so unless I find a killer deal on a used one, I am going to pull the trigger on an FS12T here in the next few weeks. It gets great reviews from those who own them. The only compalints seem to be the lack of drain holes in teh seating area, and the front rod holder being mounted too far forward. From reading reviews, they seem to track weel and have the speed you would expect from a 12 foot SOT.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I just got two Pungo 120's a couple months ago and really like them... There by wilderness they had good reviews so we gave it a shot..
    had them out 3 or 4 times and they seem too be staibil.. We got them for 640 apiece... the guy had a few sot also... I'm in northern ky we went over the river to D&D Outfitter he had better prices than any we seen on the internet.... I think there a web site not real sure.. i'd look it up and price one through him before you buy one from the big stores... JMO...
    hope this helps...Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board!
    I purchased mine blindly without any knowledge of options or pros and cons of each manufactures model. I ended up with a wilderness systems tarpon 120 and I really like it. I like the fact that the sitting area has drain holes and that it's pretty easy to maneuver in the creeks. I could stand if I really wanted but I don't think it's recommended plus I carry alot of crap with me when I fish.
    I have installed rod holders on it and eventually will put a depth finder on it. Open on top storage is good and in the hull storage is good. The new models have some nice features like recessed mounting mounting rails for all the options in the sitting area. Wilderness Systems has a pretty good name in the fishing kayak world. Have you looked at them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Tarpon 120 is probably one of the most purchased fishing kayaks out there. In addition to the Tarpon, the Ocean Kayak Trident with the Rod Pod is very popular. You could also look at stuff from Native Watercraft. But in most cases these things are over $1000 new. My thing is that these things hold value well and you cant touch one, even used, for what I am looking to spend.

I wanna spend $600 or so on teh kayak, paddle, and PFD... so going to BPS and buying the Ascend is the only real option. Luckily it is a pretty good kayak.

A very unique idea (and teh one I would go with if I had teh cash flow...

[COLOR=#810081]http://www.nativewatercraft.com/versa.cfm[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

There was a monster sale on Kayaks at a sporting goods store that starts with a D and rhymes with rick's (I would spell it out, but it gets sensored on here)

I believe their sale continues up until this Sat. (June 4th) - might be worth checking out.

Bass Pro Shops just had demo days this weekend with their kayaks. They had a big pool for you to paddle around in.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Perception fishing kayak that is 11.5 foot long. It is not a sit on top. I feel comfortable using it year round. In fact is bought more to hunt out of than to fish.

I got it as a gift but wouldn't ecpect it to be more than 500 dollars. It came from Gander Mountain.

Now is not really the best time to buy a kayak though. Everybody wants one now and your selection might be a bit less as they may have sold quite a bit of their stock.

However. if you wait until fall or after the "kayak season" you can probably find a better deal on one.

Used is a good bet too. Try them out before you buy as you want one that tracks well.

I have a friend that has a Pelican that will wear you out trying to keep it tracking straight.

Post Thanks / Like

The first question to ask yourself is whether you want a sit in or sit on Kayak. I would recommend a sit on top kayak for fishing.

Another question would be what you are hauling it with; I went with a small kayak (Malibu Mini 9'3"; 38 lbs). I needed the short kayak because I wanted something that I could put in the bed of my truck. If you don't mind fooling with roof racks longer and bigger one will be okay. The problem with a short kayak is they are slower. I don't have any trouble with tracking; but if you think you will do a lot of paddling you should opt for a longer kayak. If you are going to want to fish standing up in one; you need to narror your choices further.

I would recommend you consider going to Canoe Kentucky or somewhere else that you may be able to test a kayak before buying it.

Personally; I think the kayaks at Bass Pro are not as good as what they sell at starts with D rhymes with rick. Quest outdoors has nicer kayaks than both Bass Pro and D's; but also more expensive.

I am glad I got a more expensive kayak; they do retain their value and if you plan to use it a lot, you want something you find fun and convenient to fish out of. We have a $400 canoe we rarely use because it is so heavy. I do think with kayaks and canoes, you will get what you pay for. Generally lighter weight sturdy are going to be more expensive than cheaper, heavier, less sturdy kayaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    Yeah, the Tarpon 120 is probably one of the most purchased fishing kayaks out there. In addition to the Tarpon, the Ocean Kayak Trident with the Rod Pod is very popular. You could also look at stuff from Native Watercraft. But in most cases these things are over $1000 new. My thing is that these things hold value well and you cant touch one, even used, for what I am looking to spend.

I wanna spend $600 or so on teh kayak, paddle, and PFD... so going to BPS and buying the Ascend is the only real option. Luckily it is a pretty good kayak.

A very unique idea (and teh one I would go with if I had teh cash flow...

[COLOR=#810081]http://www.nativewatercraft.com/versa.cfm[/COLOR]
    That seating option looks like a great idea. I purchased a gelfilled deluxe cushion and back rest for my 120. It feels great but feels even better by taking a thick towel with me and placing under the butt.

Post Thanks / Like

I also look real hard at the tarpon 120, but I like going in the early spring and late fall just thought the sit in side would be a little warmer and drier..
    the pungo is pretty roomy and came with this cool dash board that has a little air tight compartment for keys and my reading glasses.. (for tying on my line,can't see the eyes in the hook that good..lol ) good luck with your search. before you buy there's a web site that reviews kayaks call paddle.net you may want to check out.. Larry