Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kayak Minimum Requirments

If you are kayaking on Kentucky waters, what is needed to be legal? It seems that as long as you have a PFD you are legal. I see nothing in the kentucky boating regs requiring an anchor, signaling device, or anything else for that matter. And the CG doesnt seem to have ANY requirements for boats under 16'...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Kayak Minimum Requirments

I would like too know what if any are required.PFD i aways have & if i'm alone wear it.In cold weather wear it all the time.Anyone know what else is needed?
    Terry Adolph
    bassinky

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak Minimum Requirments

not really sure that a pfd is required in a kayak as the kayak will float making flotation to kling to,however if you have a good roll you won't need to sweat it. Most fishing type kayaks I've seen are so wide and flat bottomed kinda wonder how you would ever flip one unless you were in waters that those kinda kayaks shouldn't be in. Don't believe boating regultions cover these types of boats. I think boating regulations only cover mechanical propelled vessels. Arm strong powered ones are a differant class. I could be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely need a pdf. If you are out after dark you will need lights too. I have a wistle attached to my pdf just in case I need to signal. I also carry a first aid kit, water, rope, and, if cooler weather, a change of clothes. You can get a dry storage bag for that stuff. Oh, and if you do something stupid, you can flip a fishing yak even in flat water. Trust me on this one

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt they will diffenatly flip could'nt begin to tell you how many times I've been upsidedown as stupid is as stupid does. I've never seen where the boating regulations address life jackets for a kayak or canoe?

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys have a Hobie Pro Angler? Those look pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pro Angler is HUGE... its like the aircraft carrier of kayaks and weighs in at almost 100lbs. But the drive system is awesome. I personally like the Native Ultimate 14.5 with the foot drive thingie. It is like a trolling motor that is driven by bike pedals. The advantage being that you actually have reverse, and the hobie does not.

As for the PFD requirement, it seems that most kayaks fall in the Class A category of boats, which is anything that floats under 16 ft (301 KRA 6:001 Sec 1 (3) ).

301 KRA 6:020 Sec 4 (2) : States that operators of Class A vessels have to have a Type I,II,orIII PFD for each person on board.

The section on signaling devices only pertains to to Class 1 and up vehicles.

The section on Lights simply states that you have to have a white light that can be used in "sufficient time" to prevent a collision. So if you night fish in a canoe or kayak under 22' long all you need is a high powered flash light to be legal, but i would use a pole light.

I found all my information here. Keep in mind that Coast Guard regulations may be stricter if you are on a federal navigable waterway.
    http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/006/020.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    not really sure that a pfd is required in a kayak as the kayak will float making flotation to kling to,however if you have a good roll you won't need to sweat it. Most fishing type kayaks I've seen are so wide and flat bottomed kinda wonder how you would ever flip one unless you were in waters that those kinda kayaks shouldn't be in. Don't believe boating regultions cover these types of boats. I think boating regulations only cover mechanical propelled vessels. Arm strong powered ones are a differant class. I could be wrong?
    Coombro, Kayak have their own dangers and yes boating regulation do require life jackets.

From KDFW:
    All vessels must carry one Type I, II, or III USCG–approved PFD for each person on board.

Although they do not specifically state kayak a kayak is a vessel.

You can follow the link below to the KDFW safe boater class. It's online and it's free to take the course. Certification for insurance discounts has a small charge.

This is a great course. I have owned a boat for over 30 years and I learned a few things from the course I did not know.

If you have time to read this thread online, you have time to take this course. You can read and take on chapter at a time and spread it out over a few days.

GO to: http://www.boat-ed.com/ky/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
    If you are kayaking on Kentucky waters, what is needed to be legal? It seems that as long as you have a PFD you are legal. I see nothing in the kentucky boating regs requiring an anchor, signaling device, or anything else for that matter. And the CG doesnt seem to have ANY requirements for boats under 16'...
    They are the same as any boat depending on the length. There is a class for boats under 16'. It is class A boat under 16'.

from KDFW

Chapter 1: Know Your Boat
    Length of a Vessel

A vessel's[COLOR=#0066cc] length overall ? Length of the hull excluding any attachments [/COLOR]dictates the equipment the vessel must have to comply with federal and state laws. Length overall is measured from the tip of the [COLOR=#0066cc]bow? Front of a vessel[/COLOR] in a straight line to the [COLOR=#0066cc]stern? Rear of a vessel[/COLOR] of the vessel. Bow sprits; [COLOR=#0066cc]rudders? Steering device, usually a vertical blade attached to a post at, or near, the stern of the boat [/COLOR]; outboard motors and motor brackets; handles; and other fittings, attachments, and extensions are not included in the measurement.
    Measuring Vessel Length

Length Classes

Some states have laws that refer to vessel lengths as "classes." However, the U.S. Coast Guard no longer uses these designations to indicate length.
    Class Length Class A Less than 16 feet Class 1 16 feet to less than 26 feet Class 2 26 feet to less than 40 feet Class 3 40 feet to less than 65 feet

Post Thanks / Like

The Pro Angler is HUGE... its like the aircraft carrier of kayaks and weighs in at almost 100lbs. But the drive system is awesome. I personally like the Native Ultimate 14.5 with the foot drive thingie. It is like a trolling motor that is driven by bike pedals. The advantage being that you actually have reverse, and the hobie does not.

As for the PFD requirement, it seems that most kayaks fall in the Class A category of boats, which is anything that floats under 16 ft (301 KRA 6:001 Sec 1 (3) ).

301 KRA 6:020 Sec 4 (2) : States that operators of Class A vessels have to have a Type I,II,orIII PFD for each person on board.

The section on signaling devices only pertains to to Class 1 and up vehicles.

The section on Lights simply states that you have to have a white light that can be used in "sufficient time" to prevent a collision. So if you night fish in a canoe or kayak under 22' long all you need is a high powered flash light to be legal, but i would use a pole light.

I found all my information here. Keep in mind that Coast Guard regulations may be stricter if you are on a federal navigable waterway.
    http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/301/006/020.htm
    Man this has opened up a can of worms for sure. Clicked on this webb site and it's the first time I've seen canoes and kayaks addressed. Mind you I'm not trying to argue just find the answer, because as you well know during summer months our rivers and streams can get very shallow. There are times I don't carry pfds cause if i spill over all I have to do is stand up. Your site states that canoes and kayaks are required to carry a class IV device which acorrding to the coast guard is a cushion. So does that take us back to square one? My interpertation of it is you by law have to carry a class IV wnich is a cushion.

Post Thanks / Like

OOPS I just said what you said. Yes you do by law need to carry at least a class IV pfd. Now I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    OOPS I just said what you said. Yes you do by law need to carry at least a class IV pfd. Now I know.
    Go back and read closely. It says Class A vessels (kayak) have to have a type I,II,or III. Having a type IV on board does not satisfy the law. The law I believe you are misreading is the one that requires every boat class 1,2,and 3 to have at least one Class IV on board in addition to the requirement of a Class I,II,orIII PFD for each occupant. This law states that Canoes and Kayaks are specifically exempt from the need for a Class IV PFD.

Section 4. Personal Flotation Devices. (1) An operator of a Class 1, 2, or 3 recreational vessel shall have on board a minimum of:
    (a) One (1) Type I, Type II or Type III personal flotation device for each person on board the vessel; and
    (b) Except for canoes or kayaks, one (1) Type IV personal flotation device.