Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barren River Panfish -

On water often bass fishing, but one thing I do NOT do is panfish on Barren.
    Need to know how...wife and I camping for 3 days with our 8 and 5 year old. Lot of time each day will be spent on the boat. 5 yr old girl just wants to catch fish. Can ya help?
    Water is still up in the woods, 22+ feet over pool. Just need to know where and how to best find fish for best chance for numbers of bites...doesn't matter if they are TINY...bluegill, crappie, etc.

Help us out? Appreciate if you can. We will be on the water tues pm, wed, and thur. Thx. Happy Memorial Day

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barren River Panfish -

Feel free to message or reply. Again, not looking for keepers, just bites. Quantity. Hoping 5 yr old girl falls in love with fishing again this summer.....lord knows she bugs me enough about going... just hope water conditions kill all panfish/white bass bite.
    Thx again.

Post Thanks / Like

Took my son out on Stoner Creek panfishing from the bank today. He caught seven fish of varying sizes in less than 45 minutes and had many more bites. Simple rig consisting of a weighted float, one piece of shot midway between float and hook loaded with a small piece of nightcrawler. Float to hook is about 12-15". Can't really go wrong with this rig.

I also caught with popeye jig and a bitsy minnow, including a small largemouth and a young smallmouth.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, appreciate the reply. Thanks for the tip. It really isn't the presentation I am concerned about, it where to find numbers for the kids with the water WAY up in the woods. Normal pool or close to it and I would not be so concerned with finding them bites.
    My worry is an 8 and 5 year old in the woods casting hooks. May be what we have to do (uhhgg), but was curious if someone would have an idea if that is what we will HAVE to do, or if someone had other info where we could avoid trees, bushes, hooks and kids. Sure you have an idea of what that combo could be them, and parents...not good.
    Thanks for the quick reply, sure we will be buying worms. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always try the popeyes and/or bitsy minnow on a float about 12-15" away and on a slow retrieve. We NEVER get hung up using this as a retrieve. Just be sure to steer clear of the overhanging branches on casts. The crappie absolutely love the popeyes, especially if you tip them with Crappie Bites or Powerbait.

My kids are 8 & 10 year olds and these are the styles of fishing we use bankside for our trips to the water. Good luck.

DAVE

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

When teh water ets up in the woods, you can always find a place to not get teh kids tangled up in the trees along rock walls on the river channel. Find a log laying vertically against the rock wall and throw the weighted float rig discussed above with crickets or wax worms. Should get you into some bluegill. Im not sure if the Gills are on bed right now or not... if they are, my plan is useless...

Post Thanks / Like

Fished nolin for gills last week. Has to be the same as any lake, but what i have been finding the gills are scattered small pockets been catching on float with wax worm anywhere from 12" to 48" down fish top first. When you find a small pocket of them and they quit biting move your bobber down a foot or two. I find they sink down lower in the water from time to time. They are scattered ready to go on the nest, and in flooded water they spread out still catchable but not in the great numbers. Also crickets on a long shank hook are good hook them through the lip and slide the body up so they are straight up and down. Kentucky afield magazine has some good tips in it this month for shell crackers and blue gills hope you and the family have a good time thats what it is all about.
    Bob