Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

An interesting take on managing fisheries

Thought this was an interesting read and explains how a lake can go from good to bad very quickly if just one or two factors get out of whack.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/224486

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An interesting take on managing fisheries

I agree with the article 100%. Falls right in line with a recent discussion I had with a fisheries biologist. There's no need to bash people for taking bass home, they are just doing their part to help make it better as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

I do my part...If it is over the size limit and under 5 pounds, its gettin fried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I agree with the article 100%. Falls right in line with a recent discussion I had with a fisheries biologist. There's no need to bash people for taking bass home, they are just doing their part to help make it better as a whole.

I talk to fisheries biologist all the time (par of the job) and one thing they talk about is people not removing enough bass species. I understand the conservation ethic and the management behind catch and release, but it only makes sense that overpopulation can be a problem.

I often think of it like any wildlife. Look at the issues there would be with deer if it wasn't for hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I often think of it like any wildlife. Look at the issues there would be with deer if it wasn't for hunting.
    More deer are killed by drivers then hunters, but you are correct since, we killed of all the predators, small and medium sized game can become over populated. Its the same with fish.

Post Thanks / Like

A 45,000 acre is overpopulated.

They killed the grass and the fishery went to pot in a year. Im sure the rednecks in alabama eat as many bass as the rednecks here do.

Nothing wrong with keeping small ones. Its good for the fishery. I see a lot who talk like that but they put 4lbers in the skillet, and 7lbers on the wall.

I guess all the fish were stunted and overpopulated before we came along? Not enough killed at weigh ins? Dont think so, come to a weigh in june-sept. and see if you can count the floaters. Gut hooks and those who DO keep fish do enough to keep them thinned down.

Grass makes all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article Tim...thanks for sharing. I agree that more of us bass fishermen need to take some of our fish home and do our part to better manage the populations in our lakes. I am guilty of throwing everything back that I catch...simply because I don't care much for bass meat...however, when I go fishing with my father-in-law, I make up for it, because I let him keep both of our limits .

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSmith View Post
    More deer are killed by drivers then hunters, but you are correct since, we killed of all the predators, small and medium sized game can become over populated. Its the same with fish.
    Predator numbers are way up and I would hardly say there is an overabundance of small game with the exception of squirrels.

Also I am not sure if more deer in Kentucky are killed by vehicles but the may be when you consider that there is only a certain time of the year when you can hunt and car season is open year round. Do you by chance work in the insurance business?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    A 45,000 acre is overpopulated.

They killed the grass and the fishery went to pot in a year. Im sure the rednecks in alabama eat as many bass as the rednecks here do.

Nothing wrong with keeping small ones. Its good for the fishery. I see a lot who talk like that but they put 4lbers in the skillet, and 7lbers on the wall.

I guess all the fish were stunted and overpopulated before we came along? Not enough killed at weigh ins? Dont think so, come to a weigh in june-sept. and see if you can count the floaters. Gut hooks and those who DO keep fish do enough to keep them thinned down.

Grass makes all the difference.

I believe you are choosing to ignore some pretty sound science in favor of your opinion. Lack of grass is only one factor one factor (albeit a large one) and I doubt there are enough "rednecks" removing fish to be hurting the population much.

As for weigh-ins, I have been around plenty of them over the years. I have yet to see this huge die off that some people say exist.

Post Thanks / Like

A good example is dale hollow there are 18 and 19 inchers up the wazoo, but few 22 inchers than can be expected. The slot only works if a small fish is kept. The spotted bass population is also suffering.But I.m as guilty as most folks dont like cleaning fish that much, and would rather eat blue gills.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I believe you are choosing to ignore some pretty sound science in favor of your opinion. Lack of grass is only one factor one factor (albeit a large one) and I doubt there are enough "rednecks" removing fish to be hurting the population much.

As for weigh-ins, I have been around plenty of them over the years. I have yet to see this huge die off that some people say exist.
    I have witnessed it. How do you explain how a lake like Lake Fork can be so full of fat fish when all fish 16-24 are released, people are much more c&r minded than they are here(so even the unders almost always get released), plus almost 1 million bass fingerlings per year every year are stocked (I can document if you like)?

Like I said, Im all for keeping small ones, under 15" IMO, but a guy with 4 dinks on a stringer catches a 5lber and it fills the limit. Fish get stunted in ponds and small lakes. You yourself posted a great article about genetics and inherited biting traits in some fish and not others. Why remove the biters?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    A good example is dale hollow there are 18 and 19 inchers up the wazoo, but few 22 inchers than can be expected. The slot only works if a small fish is kept. The spotted bass population is also suffering.But I.m as guilty as most folks dont like cleaning fish that much, and would rather eat blue gills.
    You dont see many fish over the slot because people keep overs.