Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catfish Patterns

I concur on the previous posts. I usually wear the cats out around the end of May at Barkley. 3-4 feet deep around any types of rocks. I want to try the KY/Barkley canal this coming weekend. Anyone know which ramp is the closest to the canal? I've heard it's a great place to fish for them but I haven't tried it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Those river catfish are a totally different animal, as well as the Falls area. Those catfish get in there thick, and I've foul hooked many before while casting for the whites. Very cool place to fish that's for sure! What species are those 10 pounders you speak up? I do pretty good on the flatheads up river a little, on the flats with a crankbait while looking for bass instead. Ha ha ha!
    The bigger ones are blues and flatheads. Never had too big a channel there. But i use cut bait for my catfish. Sometimes a whole shad works but i tend to do better with them cut up, plus my bait goes farther on a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Had134 cats on rod and reel memorial day weekend on the Cumberland river. I only fished 2 nights but my dad took people out for 5 nights catching 50 or more every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishindude View Post
    I concur on the previous posts. I usually wear the cats out around the end of May at Barkley. 3-4 feet deep around any types of rocks. I want to try the KY/Barkley canal this coming weekend. Anyone know which ramp is the closest to the canal? I've heard it's a great place to fish for them but I haven't tried it yet.
    Nickel Branch is where I normally put in with the small boat, and it's pretty close. I believe there is another one at the canal public use area/campground, but I haven't ever used it; I think it's about the same distance from the canal, maybe a 1/4 mi. closer at most.

The canal is definitely a fun one to try! Like I said, using crappie minnows under bobbers has worked best for me. Usually tangle with some good small mouth by accident if there is a good bit of current. I usually anchor and let the current take my bobber parallel to the rocks - I put out two or three at different lengths to cover more area along the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley or Ky anywhere there is rip rap in 5-10 foot of water. Big (3-4 foot diam) chunk rock are good areas too. The channels back into those crevices and holes and make a nest.

You will notice if you get into them good that their fins will be bloodied and ground down a bit. A young cats spines are razor sharp and very pointed. An older fish that has spawned quite a few times will have much duller spines from grinding them on rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Nickel Branch is where I normally put in with the small boat, and it's pretty close. I believe there is another one at the canal public use area/campground, but I haven't ever used it; I think it's about the same distance from the canal, maybe a 1/4 mi. closer at most.

The canal is definitely a fun one to try! Like I said, using crappie minnows under bobbers has worked best for me. Usually tangle with some good small mouth by accident if there is a good bit of current. I usually anchor and let the current take my bobber parallel to the rocks - I put out two or three at different lengths to cover more area along the bank.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to take the family and hopefully we can catch a mess!

Post Thanks / Like

Don looks like alot of good advice acouple things I might add is most spawning cats prefere water temps 75 to 80 degrees give or take a couple degrees and can start from May and run threw July. Remember that catfish have one of the longest spawning periods of all fresh water fish and just because they are spawning in one area of a lake doesn't mean they will be spawning a few miles down the lake.As for blues and channels most times I catch a mess of males first for they are usally the first to show up and create a bedding area.If you notice bite marks and red fins as mentioned before its a good sign of fish marking there area.Both like places with easy access to food so look for areas that have good populations of shad and other fish. I've found very good flathead fishing during the spawn around bedding bluegill and downed timber.As for bait channel cats will eat about anything blues and flats prefer live or fresh kill.Shad,skipjack,mooneye,bluegill,suckers,bullhe ad,buffalo,and of coarse greenworms,nightcrawlers,catalpa are all good bait. Sorry to ramble hope this helps heck we need to get together..I talk alot better than I type. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck,
    Thanks for the additional input! I'm ready to try and get a big fat cat from the river. Has this lack of rain helped calm the river down?

Post Thanks / Like

I went out of Cox Park Sat. and Sun. - the current was so low that it looked like a lake out there, until Sun. afternoon. I guess they flipped the switch upriver and it was moving again, and muddier, but still very much managable.

The river is looking the best it's looked in a LONG time. Caught a limit of bass both days.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir. Its looking a whole lot better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the additional input! I'm ready to try and get a big fat cat from the river. Has this lack of rain helped calm the river down?
    I feel a big one comin...And better get it before the drought! Dang this weather pattern

Post Thanks / Like

I tried fishing from Shippingport Island for a few hours on Friday night.

This is only my second fishing trip in 7 years, just getting back into because the bug bit me, so I don't have much of an expert opinion.

It was a nice place to fish, I thought. The current along there was pretty strong. Didn't catch anything with lures, so I threw some worms out on the bottom hoping to catch some catfish. I only caught a 16" drum, but still fun.

I'll be back there soon to catch a few of those big catfish I know lurk there.