Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Tips for Ellerslie

I'm taking a recent new member fishing there this weekend and would like to know a little bit on what's best to throw right now. I'm not sure if its going to be early morning or late afternoon. I haven't fished it for several years so any help would be great

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Tips for Ellerslie

Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter View Post
    I'm taking a recent new member fishing there this weekend and would like to know a little bit on what's best to throw right now. I'm not sure if its going to be early morning or late afternoon. I haven't fished it for several years so any help would be great
    wish i could help but havent been there in years either- can you still take non members? *hint hint nudge nudge* its right across the street from my house =)

Post Thanks / Like

PM Sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, Don't be giving all the secrets away.

I stopped by there this morning and actually fished for about 15 minutes. Caught one about 2 pounds on a spinner bait. They Shocked it last week and said that it is truly a great fishery.
    Well, contrary to popular belief... The spawn is not over... Due to the crazy rainy conditions and water levels, the bass have waited for stable weather to bed. I have talked to a lot of different guys and they have just started catching fish with bloody tails and some I caught on Sunday were FAT!! and looked like they were going to pop open they were so full of eggs.

My suggestion is be stealthy and focus 0-4 feet of water around the grass beds.. I saw Don PM'd and I'm sure he told you the right bait to throw.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

He did and put us on a few, we caught 7 with 1 being about 3 lbs. We talked to a boat there that said they caught one about 5lbs and it didn't have a tail. It had been busy I guess. So I would say you're right about the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Fishing Tips for Ellerslie

O'Jabbo gets it right every now and then. He was obviously tight lipped about his techniques though... He catches all his fish at E on 3 baits.
    1) A white Booya buzzbait. It's the one with the 12" long neck. You know, the one Bill Dance catches all his fish on! Jabbo tips it with a 10" black Power Worm. Most of his success with this rig comes from the bubble line out in open water.

2) A 12" bubblegum swimbait (2.5 oz). I don't know the brand. He won't let me close enough to see the package. This is his go to bait when he's going after that 30+ pound bag. Works best December - February.

3) Orange Rebel Blackstar crankbait, circa 1987. O'Jabbo owned 15 of these until last year. Now he owns 1. Ol' Iron Jaw, Big O Mamma Bass broke off the other 14. She is the 15+ pound bass O'Jabbo chases every year at E.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Fishing Tips for Ellerslie

Would anyone that fishes Ellerslie be interested in trading local honeyholes? I'd take someone to the resevoir in Winchester if they'd take me to Ellerslile. Just a thought, figured I'd ask. I've never fished E but have heard plenty about it.

Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight...if I'm in lex one day with my dad we cannot just roll up and start fishin? We must be a member?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burt.fishin View Post
    So let me get this straight...if I'm in lex one day with my dad we cannot just roll up and start fishin? We must be a member?
    Yep thats the deal. Took me 6 years on the list to get in.

Post Thanks / Like

Burt.fishin, IT costs us 10 bucks to take people out there on the lake. this is a big part of out maint. and stocking program etc.
    If your willing to cough up 10 bucks I'm willing to take you..
    I have fished Winchester Resevoir several times and caught a lot of good fish out there. I have friends that are members but I'd love to go with you if you can put me on some bigguns...
    And don't listen to SMLJAW with his goofey post.. He carolina rigs buzzbaits and drop shots jitter bugs with a 2 oz weight and 4 lb line.
    He hasn't been lucky enough to hook into big ol' mama like me. yeah she's still swimmin around with 14 rebel blackstars in her face
    All joking aside. I'd love to take ya out.. It is Awesome!!
    I lost one last night over 5 probably closer to 7. Only caught 2 others and lost a total of 6 . It was a little slow. but it will pick up soon. You just let me know when you want to go... We may even take SMLJAW or DJD with us..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    Burt.fishin, IT costs us 10 bucks to take people out there on the lake. this is a big part of out maint. and stocking program etc.
    If your willing to cough up 10 bucks I'm willing to take you..
    I have fished Winchester Resevoir several times and caught a lot of good fish out there. I have friends that are members but I'd love to go with you if you can put me on some bigguns...
    And don't listen to SMLJAW with his goofey post.. He carolina rigs buzzbaits and drop shots jitter bugs with a 2 oz weight and 4 lb line.
    He hasn't been lucky enough to hook into big ol' mama like me. yeah she's still swimmin around with 14 rebel blackstars in her face
    All joking aside. I'd love to take ya out.. It is Awesome!!
    I lost one last night over 5 probably closer to 7. Only caught 2 others and lost a total of 6 . It was a little slow. but it will pick up soon. You just let me know when you want to go... We may even take SMLJAW or DJD with us..
    Let me know I'll show up!

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to send my last post to goose creek guy (too).
    I also talked to SMLJAW today and he's in too.
    Shoot.. We'll get us a bunch of fellas and make a day of it. maybe even wager