Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you buy materials?

Have purchased some flies over the internet, but when it comes to fly tying materials, as a nu-B, I need to see/look at what I'm buying. So, living in the hills of Kentucky as I do, my choices are limited. But given that, here are my options and opinions below. What are you choices of local places of business? (also, any information on internet shops would be appreciated).

Sportmens Wharehouse, Lexington, KY: Best selection, best prices....Great store.

Bass Pro, Albany, IN: I do a lot of shopping there as well as over the internet, but find the overall quallity of their merchandise lacking. Also, pricing seems to be a bit on the the high side unless they have a sale going on.

Gander Mountain, Blowing Green, KY or Evansville, IN: Very sparse inventory, never go there if another choice is available.

Wishing Cabela's had a store in the area.....but still another unknown.

FlyLie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where do you buy materials?

Gary, I buy a big part of my tying materials at Bass Pro. Price can be steep on some things, but I am usually happy with their choices. I tend to dig through certain items until I find the quality of what I am looking for. I shop there for two reasons 1.) location, I can be there in 30 minutes and 2.) the guys in their fly fishing shop are knowledgeable, particularly Jack, who knows as much or more about fly fishing as anybody I have ever met.

I also order some things from Little River Outfitters.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro or Gander Mountain usually....online, I like to shop at Feather-Craft or Hookhack.....I've even picked up some stuff at Hobby Lobby, lol!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

First Jack is the friggin' man and Basspro has a lot of things you will not get a better deal on locally unless you go to Forward Cast in Louisville. Thread, soft hackles, lead eyes, etc. (things you can't easily improvise) will be about the same price at any fly shop but, you will not get the same advice/expertize. Second I don't feel like I am hurting the flying fishing community by saying you can get a lot of things you would pay from double to five plus times cheaper at hobby lobby. Pheasant tail (up to a certain length and quality), foam of all kinds, googly eyes, oh just go and see. Forward Cast then Basspro for knowledge and fly fishing specific materials, and your own ingenuity and other places for saving a bit of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Forward Cast interest me, do you have info on location or address?

Was not trying to be to hard on Bass Pro, and as I said, do quite a bit of shopping there, but seems I have had my share of bad experiences with the quality of their merchandise; a pair of waterproof winter boots that started leaking after wearing them about 15 times, a fly fishing vest whose buttons fell of and the zipper failed after about 20 days of use, and a Johnny Morris Spinning Reel ($50) which sounds like if has rocks for bearings. Now with that being said, I still shop of Bass Pro; just received a $400 dollar order a couple of days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.forwardcast.net/ should have all the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    http://www.forwardcast.net/ should have all the information.
    Thanks, got them on by bucket list for next trip to Louisville area.

Post Thanks / Like

D ick Haas is one of the owners of Forward Cast and is very knowledgeable. Not only about fly fishing, but about the different fisheries in the state. He used to work for KDFWR.