Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf Creek trout fishing derby for the KIDS!!!

Saturday was a great day despite all of the heat the folks with the derby did a fantastic Job! they released some real trophy trout this year there were 4 caught that went over 8 pounds and several from three on up to 5 pounds they dug out the trench to make the water a little deeper and the fish were better than ever before; there were very few that were less than a pound my 6 year old grand daughter caught her 5 in about 20 minutes smallest was 1.5 largest 2.5. The 12 year old only caught 2 but that was because she spotted a trophy and was dead set for that one fish she knew was at least a 5 pounds. but everyone had a great day. the oldest decided it was time for here to learn how to fillet a fish, and did a pretty good job of it. She did a lot better than my first time out. But sadly there was some news that really hit hard the President, and some of our other public servants have proposed to cut off funding for the hatchery here and in several other states, they claim that it will save 12 million dollars. While I know we have got to make some cuts, but I wonder do they ever get out and look at the projects, they are considering for closure. not only does this provide young folks a chance to get out there and try their luck at fishing but the hatchery provides all of the trout stocked in the sate. now when you stop and add up the 10 dollar trout stamp that is required by law this project pays for most of it's own cost. Not counting all of the money spent to go fishing. So we need your help please contact your congressman, and senators and say NO to the idea of targeting first the trout and then what. fishing, camping, boating, There is so much waste that could be cut off if we just looked in the right place I will be ranting for awhile but please if we do not speak up we will loose one of the few family activities that we have been able to pass down to our young ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolf Creek trout fishing derby for the KIDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
    Saturday was a great day despite all of the heat the folks with the derby did a fantastic Job! they released some real trophy trout this year there were 4 caught that went over 8 pounds and several from three on up to 5 pounds they dug out the trench to make the water a little deeper and the fish were better than ever before; there were very few that were less than a pound my 6 year old grand daughter caught her 5 in about 20 minutes smallest was 1.5 largest 2.5. The 12 year old only caught 2 but that was because she spotted a trophy and was dead set for that one fish she knew was at least a 5 pounds. but everyone had a great day. the oldest decided it was time for here to learn how to fillet a fish, and did a pretty good job of it. She did a lot better than my first time out. But sadly there was some news that really hit hard the President, and some of our other public servants have proposed to cut off funding for the hatchery here and in several other states, they claim that it will save 12 million dollars. While I know we have got to make some cuts, but I wonder do they ever get out and look at the projects, they are considering for closure. not only does this provide young folks a chance to get out there and try their luck at fishing but the hatchery provides all of the trout stocked in the sate. now when you stop and add up the 10 dollar trout stamp that is required by law this project pays for most of it's own cost. Not counting all of the money spent to go fishing. So we need your help please contact your congressman, and senators and say NO to the idea of targeting first the trout and then what. fishing, camping, boating, There is so much waste that could be cut off if we just looked in the right place I will be ranting for awhile but please if we do not speak up we will loose one of the few family activities that we have been able to pass down to our young ones.

Here...Here and X10. One of the greatest programs for the young ones that I know of. Future anglers or just having a great day fishing...good healthy/safe fun. Congrats and thanks to the Hatcher Staff, KDRWR and all the volunteers.